Arles, Avignon and Orange


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
September 21st 2014
Published: November 10th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 43.6767, 4.6278

We got up and drove to Orange. We parked and walked over to the Roman Theatre. It is unique because it is the only theatre in Europe with its acoustic wall still standing. We then headed across the street to the Museum of Art and History. We made a quick stop at the Arche De Triumph and then drove to the Pont Du Gard. The Pont Du Gard is a large part of the Roman aquaduct that goes over a river. It is the second tallest Roman structure still standing. It was 470 meters long. We left there and stopped in Arles for dinner. We got home very late that night, about 10:30 PM.
We got up this morning and put Les Baux into the GPS. According to the Rick Steve's book, it was supposed to be a 20 minute drive. The GPS showed it as an hour and a half. We followed it for a while and then abandoned it. We ended up near Avignon, and decided to go there instead. Well, this weekend, all of the museums and other sites were open to the public for free. Also, there was a bicycle race in downtown as well. So the town was packed with people. There was such a long line of people waiting to get inside the Popes Palace that we had to skip it. We went over to the old church, but it was closed for the day(on a Sunday!). We walked around the park for a while and went into 2 of the museums. We headed back to our hotel, went for a swim and then took a nap. Ah, heaven.
Tomorrow, we will try Les Baux again.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

The Pont Du GardThe Pont Du Gard
The Pont Du Gard

The top level has the aquaduct in it. It went on for 30 miles and supplied 9,000,000 gallons of water a day to ancient Nimes.


21st September 2014

Looking chipper in pink. Looks like you're having a good time. See you soon!

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0554s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb