Les Andeleys


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Upper Normandy
October 6th 2009
Published: October 12th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Our first day trip from the River Baroness was a trek up a steep hill to Richard the Lion Heart's late 12th century Chateau Gaillard at Les Andeleys. It was very foggy so we could only guess at the view that our guide described. The fortification would remind New Yorkers of the way that West Point provided protection by its high elevation and river location. The little town was charming. This was a nice "low key" start to our exploration of Normandy.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Wes Les AndeleysWes Les Andeleys
Wes Les Andeleys

The boat provided bikes and walking sticks. We were REALLY glad for the walking sticks for the trek up to Richard the Lionheart's Fort.
River Baroness White Cliffs (Chalk)River Baroness White Cliffs (Chalk)
River Baroness White Cliffs (Chalk)

The couple are Linda and Dave from Salt Lake City
Addition to My Collection of Clothes Line Pix Addition to My Collection of Clothes Line Pix
Addition to My Collection of Clothes Line Pix

Just love clotheslines - globally!
Cedars on SeineCedars on Seine
Cedars on Seine

No wonder the impressionists were lured to Normandy and the Seine!
Landscaping With AnnualsLandscaping With Annuals
Landscaping With Annuals

It must be the mild climate, the strong sun light, the fertile soil - something we don't have that makes the annuals so brilliang in October.
Woven Flower BedsWoven Flower Beds
Woven Flower Beds

We saw twigs used in landscaping in Giverny also.
Trimmed Chestnut TreesTrimmed Chestnut Trees
Trimmed Chestnut Trees

We saw perfectly trimmed chestnut trees in Paris at Luxembourg Gardens also.
On BoardOn Board
On Board

The ship was wonderful - didn't take many pix of it. Very well staffed, excellent menues, very comfortable staterooms.


12th October 2009

jeff202@nycap.rr.com
Absolutly incredible.....I cant imagine the beauty...Joanne...great job articulating(as always)....told you before I'm a fan!
12th October 2009

Thanks, Jeff - you are our biggest fan!
13th October 2009

Great photos
Joanne - I always love your photos and updates, however, I am MOST impressed of the spider web shot! I have many times tried to get a great web - the lighting and dew never works! Thanks for sharing.
14th October 2009

spider web
I know. I have great spider webs here on the dock and deck in the morning and NEVER can shoot it right - it was sooooo foggy that morning --- we could hardly see our hands; we were coming down from this craggy hill - very tough travel on foot - our group got so far ahead of us because I REALLY wanted to frame that shot - we were like old fogies - Wes and I were the last ones to catch up with the group. But, so worth it! Thanks for noticing. J.

Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 16; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0742s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb