Three Days in Paris


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
October 6th 2009
Published: October 12th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Eiffle Tower at NightEiffle Tower at NightEiffle Tower at Night

We took an elevator to a 360 panorama view of Paris from the 54th floor of the Montparnase Office Tower, the tallest building in France.
We had a few days in Paris before we boarded the River Baroness. Our room at the Meridian Montparnasse wasn't ready; so we used a two day pass on an open air "hop on...hop off" bus (the yellow one) and got a great overview of the city with taped commentary. We hopped off at the Louvre, where we were so glad that Zita had steered us to visit Napoleon III's Apartment. Our "fellow travelers" never saw this marvel. We did get to Mona, Winged Victory, Venus and other Louvre highlights. The I.M. Pei glass pyramid reminded us of the Guggenheim - especially regarding the spiral stairways. Notre Dame offered our first experience with Gypsy people trying to trick us out of a few bucks. C'est la vie!
A museum highlight of our trip to Paris has to be the Musée d'Orsay, located in a former railroad station on the left bank of the Seine across from the Louvre. It holds an extensive collection of impressionist masterpieces by Monet, Degas, Renoir, and Cezanne among others along with an impressive sculpture collection. Our trip to the d’Orsay was the first “included tour” in our River Baroness package. Our guide was wonderful -a Sorbonne
The D'Orsay Museum Was a Train StationThe D'Orsay Museum Was a Train StationThe D'Orsay Museum Was a Train Station

Here's great re-use of a beautiful building.
University trained art/history/language major. We had loved the Louvre the previous day; but this was much more intimate. This was our first outing with “vox boxes” sometimes called “quiet boxes.” They allow the guide to speak in a normal voice; and we, the wearers, to hear his/her commentary from across the room.
We literally trekked, partly by Metro, up to Sacre Coeur and Montmartre with its lively art scene. We grazed at sidewalk cafés near the Louvre and at Place Michele, and along the Seine. We took our one taxi ride back to the magnificent Opera House once we had settled in on the boat and before we set sail. This is the site that inspired “The Phantom of the Opera,” one of our very favorite plays.
The Meridian Montparnasse is a convention hotel with strong ties to the tourist industry. It's fine; but we will stay more centrally at a smaller hotel with a little more Gallic charm on our next trip to Paris. The hotel was in a working class/student neighborhood. It was safe and had good access to public transportation. There was interesting people watching from the sidewalk cafes on Boulevard Pasteur and we did enjoy our
Degas BallerinaDegas BallerinaDegas Ballerina

Musee d'Orsay had both paintings and sculpture by Degas. And, we learned that his favorite subject matters - dancers and horse racing - were based in rather "personal" relationships between ballerinas and horsemen!
360 view from the Montparnarasse Office Tower (10 Euro; no lines); but it is a bit of a ways from where we really wanted to be in Paris. If you happen to stay at the Meridian Montparnasse; we highly recommend Le Chateau del'Ouest for dinner. It's walkable from the hotel. We savored a wonderful dinner on the protected patio.
NOTE: Click Next for MORE Photos - Paris - so rich in every way - there are 31 photos here!


Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Cut Away of the Opera House Cut Away of the Opera House
Cut Away of the Opera House

This model, in the d'Orsey Museum, conjures images of The Phantom of the Opera.
ManetManet
Manet

An even bolder Coubert painting (inspired by this one of Manet) hangs in Musee d'Orsay.
I.N. Pei's Pyramid Entrance to the LouvreI.N. Pei's Pyramid Entrance to the Louvre
I.N. Pei's Pyramid Entrance to the Louvre

This reminded us of Pei's Guggenheim in New York.
Onion Soup & Croque MonsourOnion Soup & Croque Monsour
Onion Soup & Croque Monsour

We loved the food in Paris and throughout France. We have copies of all of our Menus from the River Baroness --- truely, gastronomically amazing!
Plate of SnailsPlate of Snails
Plate of Snails

Loved the food.
BikelandBikeland
Bikeland

Bicycles and motor scooters are everywhere. Women wearing high heals ride bikes. There are municipal bike racks holding bikes that Parisienne's can check out by scanning a card - much like easy pass.
Montmartre Energy Stop Macaroons to Die ForMontmartre Energy Stop Macaroons to Die For
Montmartre Energy Stop Macaroons to Die For

We had a big hill to climb to get to Sacre Couer and yummy macaroons fortified us for the trek!
Montmartre Street EntertainerMontmartre Street Entertainer
Montmartre Street Entertainer

She sang like Edith Piaf while grinding a hurdy gurdy! The whole "entertainment system" folded into a little trailer that Madam pulled behind her pink Vespa! Real Show Biz!
Artists Galore Artists Galore
Artists Galore

Behind Sacre Coeur on Mont Martre; we first came upon a very touristy area; and pressed on (thankfully) to where the real artists were. Voila!


12th October 2009

I was just talking with my daughter today about her visit to Paris a few years ago (she went for a week all by herself) and she specifically mentioned the D'Orsay Museum as being one of her favorite sites. My husband, sister and I are planning a trip next fall, so I'm very interested in your impressions.
12th October 2009

Thanks for your interest, Chris. Musee d'Orsay is a marvelous place. We were there for about 2.5 hours - would go back in a minute!

Tot: 0.181s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 16; qc: 23; dbt: 0.1535s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb