Normandy Beaches - D Day Memorial


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Lower Normandy » Arromanches-les-Bains
October 6th 2009
Published: October 12th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Battlefields and cemeteries; whether in Normandy, Gettysburg, Washington DC or anywhere tug at the heart. It is overwhelming to look at the thousands of Crosses and Stars of Davids and think what these brave soldiers went through. The US / Canadian Cemetery is fittingly, immaculately kept. We were given a rose to place on the grave marker of our own choice. The museums were so informative. The signage was in French and English. One light note - we got the word at breakfast on the boat; that the itinerary would be tight to get through the Museum at Fort Winston properly and still have lunch. Ever resourceful, Wes, grabbed baguettes, cold cuts and cheeses from the breakfast buffet aboard the River Baroness; wrapped them in a linen napkin (which we returned later) and packed our lunch. The man is a resourceful traveler! You will not starve or get lost if you travel with Wes.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Where Poppies GrowWhere Poppies Grow
Where Poppies Grow

An artificial harbor of sunken ships and bulky break waters manufactured in England and floated over to Omaha Beach was the invention of Winston Churchill. They helped make the landing of men and materials a bit easier after the initial invasion.
Display Arromanches MuseumDisplay Arromanches Museum
Display Arromanches Museum

The D DayMuseum at Arromanches had some interesting display, a good slide show and a short film about the invasion.
Remains of Port Winston - Artificial HarborRemains of Port Winston - Artificial Harbor
Remains of Port Winston - Artificial Harbor

This strategy was invented by Winston Churchill. Amazing how engineering, meteorolgy, tide level (low), moon phase (full), and making the Germans think the landing would be elsewhere all entered into the strategies.
Multi Media at Cemetery MuseumMulti Media at Cemetery Museum
Multi Media at Cemetery Museum

The Cemetery Museum display was more sophisticated than Arromanches. Worth some time. Hard to drag oneself away from the grave markers "row on row." One can search names here and find exact locations of buriel site.
Memorial to BraveryMemorial to Bravery
Memorial to Bravery

This give one an idea of the terrain and one soaring memorial to bravery.


12th October 2009

response
What a great trip!Love the photos and of course the commentary(I dont know if I even spelled that right) Love to hear all about it when we see you...have, (or should I say...keep on having....) a wonderful time!....thanks for thinking of us to share your memories with...we really do appreciat it
12th October 2009

Thanks for the nice feedback, Jeff and Robin.
12th October 2009

Normandy
I've read many accounts of D-Day and the days leading to and following. I agree with Jeff, nice photos and commentary. Thanks for sharing.
12th October 2009

Hi Mark - We bought a great little book explaining the strategies of D Day to children - it is for our grandchildren to read; but so insightful for we big kids who didn't pay enought attention in history class. Thanks for the comments.

Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0537s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb