Welcome to France....say what?


Advertisement
Europe » France » St-Pierre et Miquelon
August 24th 2022
Published: August 26th 2022
Edit Blog Post

More than a few months back while planning this voyage to Canada, Merry Jo remarked that while in Newfoundland there existed a possibility to visit France…..say what? Seems that off the west coast of Newfoundland there are the islands of St. Pierre and Miquelon, which are a self-governing territorial overseas collectivity of France—so says Wikipedia. In common parlance, although you are in Can... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 45, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Wonderful dinnerWonderful dinner
Wonderful dinner

Our BnB owner is also a chef!



27th August 2022

Oh la la!
I am so excited to see this. I have been intrigued by St. Pierre and Miquelon since learning about it just a few years ago but haven't been able to visit yet. I never thought about the electricity being EU too! It seems crazy to rent a car just to park it in a lot but I understand that is what you have to do. When I looked several years ago cars were available but quite expensive, by pre Covid standards. Too bad there isn't demand for a bus from a larger town. I suppose it is quite small and they can't handle but so many people. Do residents keep cars on the mainland or do they have cars?
27th August 2022

Oh La la
The care rental situation is crazy this year. It was worth letting it sit for two days. (For us) When you go remember it is France even though located in North America… it is hard to wrap you brain around it. The 30 minute time change was goofy also.
31st August 2022

Yet Another Quirky Trip wtih the Binkleys
I love that even the electricity is European, (probably more than MJ did) and the 30 minute time nudge. What a great place, wonderful food and quirky to boot.
31st August 2022

Yet Another Quirky Trip with the Binkley's
We are glad we can broaden your horizons. The weird thing about the time change is we traveled a bit west but the time change went as if we had moved east. It was an outer limits experience with the time change.
31st August 2022

France in Canada
I remember reading something about this geographical oddity when we were in Quebec. I realised it was part of some original negotiations with the British, but had absolutely no idea these places were still part of France. Extraordinary. And they have a Basque festival there? Do you need to go through the same passport rigmarole to go there as you would if you were going to Europe?
31st August 2022

France in Canada
It is not much of a passport rigmarole as it is a small island and we enter via ferry. It is a quick stamp and you are on your way. They do have the same requirements as entering France. As I kept telling Dave.... it really is France. LOL. The Basque festival was fun and they flew in pelota players from France as well as having local players.
2nd September 2022

St. Pierre and Miquelon
It's great that you were able to visit St. Pierre and Miquelon! It's a place that has always intrigued me and that I would love to visit.
3rd September 2022

St. Pierre and Miquelon
It's a quaint island. I hope you will get there some day.
8th September 2022
Right turn to France

Wow, what a cool place
It's so cool that you can visit France by making a small ferry hop from Canada. I'd absolutely love to go there. /Ake
9th September 2022
Right turn to France

Wow, what a cool place
It is cute and worth a quick visit.
19th September 2022

Explorers
Wow, I love this! Another place on your journey I think I'd love! It must have felt so strange stepping off the short boat ride from Canada, and speaking French, using the Euro, and having European plugs! How bizarre that you go west yet move forward in time, though I do understand their reasoning. Not many Travel Bloggers can say they've set first foot in a new territory - well done you both!
19th September 2022

Explorers
It was fun heading to this unique location. It was fun. It is small and you only need two or three days. Three days if you are going to Miquelon. Yess, the time thing was weird.
8th October 2022

Time
The time difference thing is bizarre isn't it? It seems so arbitrary! Sounds like a quirky little place and perfect for a brief 'detour' in a different country :)
10th October 2022

Time
Quirky is a good description. Well worth a short hop over.
18th October 2022
Sampling the local brew

Local brew
We love trying the local beers too!
18th October 2022
Sampling the local brew

Local Brew
The local brews are always fun to experiment from.
27th January 2023

In Europe... say what? lol
I can't grasp the concept of your blogs location saying Europe... lol, it feels like you are in North America still but with a French twist. Wow... I never knew of this islands existence. Thank you for sharing and what an amazing experience for you both.
27th January 2023

In Europe... St. Pierre & Miquelon
These islands have an interesting history and ownership. Well worth a short visit. It is fun taking the ferry to get there.

Tot: 0.184s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 22; qc: 30; dbt: 0.1425s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb