Odyssey 2023 - Our last day in paradise, and some final thoughts


Advertisement
Published: May 16th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Flowers at Place ClemenceauFlowers at Place ClemenceauFlowers at Place Clemenceau

Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat
Our 10-day sojourn in Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat, on the beautiful Côte d'Azur, is rapidly drawing to a close. This afternoon we must pack our tucker bags, board a plane in Nice for the return flight to Naples tomorrow morning, and then drive back to Sorrento. If all goes according to plan, we should be back in our apartment by mid-afternoon.

Today we decided to have a farewell lunch at Le Bar du Port, where we dined on the night of our arrival in Saint-Jean, in order to say farewell to the friendly, young waiter (Anthony) we've come to know during our brief stay. I had the grilled sardines and frites with a small salad, while Dee ordered a large tomato salad platter.

Since it was rather slow on the restaurant's terrace this afternoon, we had time to chat with Anthony. After we shared a chocolate mousse for dessert, he served us small shots of a rum-based liqueur. We then posed for a group selfie, said our good-byes, then walked up the street to some benches on the Place Clemenceau for our final views out over the port and the Mediterranean Sea.

Perhaps this memorable line from Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet
Le Bar du PortLe Bar du PortLe Bar du Port

Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat
best captures the essence of our emotions at this moment: “Parting is such sweet sorrow.” We take with us a treasure trove of images and memories from our brief stay in this little corner of paradise! There are many highlights and superlatives about the time we spent here.

The astounding beauty of this place is nothing short of breathtaking, with sunlight shimmering from the crystal-clear, blue waters of the Mediterranean Sea, and the soothing sounds of its waves gently caressing the shoreline.

Of course, we both agree that our visit to the Villa Ephrussi de Rothschild and its gardens is at the top of our list so far as highlights are concerned. The spectacular views of the sea and coastal terrain from its vantage point were simply astounding, including the images of the many exquisite villas, mansions and estates arrayed along and above the adjacent coastlines.

Almost from the moment we arrived in Saint-Jean, we became completely enchanted with its charms ("head-over-heels" you might even say), much like we experienced many years ago during our early trips to Paris. But the ambience here is far more intimate, peaceful, even serene. We both hope we're able to enjoy the charms of this special place again. Que sera, sera!

Dee's Comments:

Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat has been a true piece of paradise for us, from the town itself, to the people, food and amazing scenery around this peninsula; absolutely no negatives at all! I'm taking many memories home with me, and I don't know how I will settle-in back home in Florida...after feeling like a princess in paradise!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Place ClemenceauPlace Clemenceau
Place Clemenceau

Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat
Place ClemenceauPlace Clemenceau
Place Clemenceau

Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat
Last view of the portLast view of the port
Last view of the port

Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat
Le Bar du PortLe Bar du Port
Le Bar du Port

Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat
Le Bar du PortLe Bar du Port
Le Bar du Port

Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat
Last call at Le Bar du PortLast call at Le Bar du Port
Last call at Le Bar du Port

Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat
Menu board, Le Bar du PortMenu board, Le Bar du Port
Menu board, Le Bar du Port

Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat


16th May 2023

Bon Voyage
Another great adventure. Beautiful scenery and of course the delicious food. Safe travels to Sorrento. So enjoyed all the pictures..
16th May 2023

French Riviera vacations...
also one of our favorite destinations. We stayed in Antibes. I hope you can revisit many times!
17th May 2023

Safe travels back to Sorrento. I can imagine it will be hard to leave but maybe next year you will spend your next trip there! 😀 The tomato platter looks delicious, time for some more Italian food!
17th May 2023

Memories
What wonderful memories you made here!
20th May 2023

Paradise Found...Paradise Lost
Seems you have been able to relax, and reflect upon your peace found these past days. Sadly, it is time to move forward to yet another portion of paradise, but hopefully one day you may return to this small portion of found paradise. Love the selfies taken, food photos, and scenery, exceptionally beautiful. Safe travels to be had and many more memories captured.

Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0466s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb