French Frogs


Advertisement
Published: April 10th 2009
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
Friday 10 April

Every night when you go out on the porch, it sounds like in the movie above. It seems to be coming from the parking lot on the other side of the olive grooves. What it is? Give us a clue. Birds? Frogs? When we try to get close to them, they silence. Don’t know if it’s because they really silence or if there is an acoustic phenomenon which makes the sound harder to hear from the place where it seems to come from.

This morning was special. I woke up at 8 (!) and couldn’t resist going down to the lover tower room where the washing machine has its home. Yesterday it broke down in the middle of a programme. Today I’ve been a washing machine mechanic for a couple of hours, and voila, with a screwdriver and a chair I was able to get the machine to work again so I could empty it. Puh.

Thursday afternoon our parents throw a happy birthday party for us, with champagne and Nathalie’s best choices for local produced snacks to the drink; a half dried sausage, olive paste and crackers. And to that some singing and a
MacGyver?MacGyver?MacGyver?

It actually runs like this.
speech. Thanks m,p and Mil: It was terrific!

Wednesday was the last day with our parents and it was a really great one as well. The ones who were considered fit (K and MiL) walked to the perched medieval village Gilette, those who weren’t (m, p and J) drove there. We all got together and had a lovely afternoon in the little town with an extraordinary view from the Château on the top of the mountain.

Thursday we gave our guests a lift to the airport, said goodbye, accompanied by the usual tears, and then we headed for Antibes. This time we had swimming suits in my backpack. When we got to the sea, it started to drizzle…

We went for lunch instead. Found a table outside, with a roof, and when the waitress came and I asked for a drought beer, I got like sevens alternatives and we realized that we were sitting outside an Irish Pub, so we ordered burgers and Guinness. Great food and ale, and great company as well. We started to talk to an elderly couple next to us, and it turned out they were Irish, but lived in Nice half the year since their retirement. We talked about everything from Ireland and Cornwall to The Riviera. Later we bumped in to them twice during our walk in Antibes. It’s a small place.

After lunch the drizzle really began, and we headed for the Picasso Museum. Just to find an enormous line waiting to get in. A line? Nah, no waiting for us. We walked to the car again, K took a nap and I did some meditating before we enjoyed a nice drive along the sea up to Nice.

We stopped at Carrefour and did some shopping. When we started the “climbing” up the hill to our place, we passed a pizza van… Well, we didn’t actually just pass, we stopped as well. It was a fascinating little mobile pizzeria with a pizza oven and everything. And the pizza was great!

At eight a clock we were back in La Tour again. By then our guests had been at their homes in Sweden for hours. Crazy world!

/J





Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

GiletteGilette
Gilette

M, p and I prefered to drive to our neighbour village
Chateau Chateau
Chateau

Striving to the top of the village
Bonson?Bonson?
Bonson?

It's got to be in that direction! Or...?
MiL with something special in her eyes MiL with something special in her eyes
MiL with something special in her eyes

Dreaming about new adventures to foot?
Not too cold it turned out Not too cold it turned out
Not too cold it turned out

Not for the finger that is...
Our new "cottage"Our new "cottage"
Our new "cottage"

Antibes must be the home of the worlds hottest yachts.
An Italian girl?An Italian girl?
An Italian girl?

The first contact with our neigbours at the table beside us started with the usual guesses.... Where are you from? None of us did too well, the Irish couple guesst we were from Italy, and I thought they were American...
Antibes, the harbour and the fort Antibes, the harbour and the fort
Antibes, the harbour and the fort

If Nice is the city with some tourists. This is a tourist resort with a huge harbour for yahts and sailing boats and a very international atmosphere. But we really missed the sun this day!


11th April 2009

Grodorna!
Har ni fortfarande inte listat ut vad det är som låter!?? Vad konstigt!
11th April 2009

Grodor, Lilla K?
Jag jagar bildbevis...! Ses i bloggen. /J
15th April 2009

Frogs
My bet is frogs, it sounds a lot like frogs. Or, "le food" as they say in France =)
5th May 2009

French Resaurants ...
Det är utan tvekan de stackars stympade grodornas klagosång, då närliggande restauranger har slängt dem tillbaka ut igen efter att ha kapat benen på dem till kvällens delikatess. Man har ju sett en French Restaurant from the inside before ...Yes! We have Fresh Cut Frog Leggs on our Menu tonight!
5th May 2009

Se där!
Haha, inte undra på att de skrek så högt då, de stackarna... Smaklig måltid! /J

Tot: 0.335s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 53; dbt: 0.1219s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb