The green guy


Advertisement
Published: April 12th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Sunday 12 April

Yesterday we got a visitor. Gustav. A member of the frog choir. We didn’t actually hear Gustav sing, he was quiet like a mouse. But his pals sang with strong voices.

Just before we met Gustav we took a walk in the neighborhood, and noticed that the Mediatheque was open. We popped in and said bonsoir to the 5-6 people gathered in the tiny library. The librarian looked terrified and told us quickly “I don’t speak English”. I offered my usual: “Je ne parle francais”. And that could have been the end of the conversation in the Mediatheque. But I continued and asked about the mysterious sound in the night, and did a pretty cool attempt to recreate the sound, I think. And suddenly all of them could speak English! Well, at least they had an urge to communicate… So we followed a couple in our own age out on the square outside, and the pointed where he frogs use to be, and did their best to describe them. Green and small - and with terrible loud voices. Their son had once picked one up and brought it in the house. The “singing” was so loud they couldn’t talk to each other, and had to get the frog out immediately.

We talked about Sweden as well. Their son, who now lives in Paris, had stayed in Linköping for “one hour” (!?)… That was my first thought. Strange, wasn’t it? But it turned out to be a mix of English and French here, so after a while we realized he had been in Linköping for one year studying at the university. He loved Sweden and had tried to learn Swedish. That was tough…

Yesterday we did a long walk down the olive groves again. Found a new path which led us through the groves down towards Plan du Var. We followed the water down the mountain, and the groves and humidity here reminded us more of Louisiana than of Provence. Unfortunately we were too hungry to continue all the way down to Plan du Var. Our stomachs told us to turn around, and so we did.

We encountered a new mystery though. An open space dotted with…. Yes, we are in France…. Baguettes! Traces in the dirt also gave us a hint of boar. Do they lure the animals to go to the baguette field, and then shoot them? We need to visit the Mediatheque again…

Today it’s Easter day, and we joined the crowd in the church. Well, we missed the first hour… The door was open so we popped in when it was about half an hour left of the mass. We watched the congregation participate in the Holy Communion and got our blessing as well. And to m and f, who were concerned about the old and immobile people getting to church, we now can say: Don’t worry. We can assure you no one was left out. Old people were more or less dragged and lifted up all the steps up to the church. So no worries. They were helped to the altar for the Holy Communion as well.

Today’s walk was up the mountain where we found a lovely path on the back of the mountain. Blossom trees, birdsong, peace and quite. And stunning views -as always.

Now we are sitting on the porch with an Easter egg ready for our friends K and P, who will arrive with their rental car from Rom, any minute…. or maybe any hour. We’re in Provence. And on vacation. No worry. No hurry.

/J








Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Hungry! Hungry!
Hungry!

Let's turn home
Plan du Var Plan du Var
Plan du Var

Like a blury mirage
Back homeBack home
Back home

Sixten is meeting us as usual, when we're getting home from our walks.
Don't worry, m and p! Don't worry, m and p!
Don't worry, m and p!

The oldtimers are getting helped in church
Not far from home Not far from home
Not far from home

It's amazing to have this kind of environment so close to our home.


13th April 2009

Söt :P
Vilken söt Gustav det var!
13th April 2009

Jätteroligt att både få se grodan o få höra om den! Fantastiskt att den lille kan låta så högt! M.
13th April 2009

Gustav
Ikväll sjunger Gustav och hans kompisar högre än någonsin! Klockan är halv elva på kvällen och vi sitter ute på altanen för första gången, och tar en pastis och ett glas vin. Ljum sommarnatt, stjärnklart och grodkväkande över hela nejden! /J
16th April 2009

Another tip
Now I remeber! If you get the chance to go to La fondation Maeght, I think it's well worth the visit (It's in the village of Saint-Paul), there is lots and lots of modern art including a Miró labyrinth(!) and work by Chagall, Braque and Bury (I think there is a fountain by him). Basically art: paintings, sculptures and installations. And really nice!
16th April 2009

Thanks, J!
Thanks for the tip, sounds great! Especially since it's heavy rain today;-( /J

Tot: 0.567s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 53; dbt: 0.2051s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb