A summer day


Advertisement
Published: April 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Tuesday 7 April

Our beloved parents arrived Sunday morning in nice weather, which became even better the day after. Good to see the ol’ folks again! We made lunch and dinner for them and celebrated their presence with champagne on the porch (what else?), between the old-timers occasionally naps… (Alright, they got up at three in the morning, so it’s nothing much to say about that…).

Monday was walking the village and shopping at Nathalie’s. After lunch some clouds turned up, and we decided to head for Nice and maybe the Matisse Museum. But when we got to Promenade de Anglais, the sun was all over the place, and the sea unusually calm, so we stayed on the beach until it was too late to pay a visit to Matisse.

We walked the streets of Nice instead, enjoyed Place Massena and Vieux Nice and ended up at a restaurant with a local menu, “Specialité de Nicoise”, or what they call it. We tried every Nissa-speciality we could find, and the overall judgment was like “interesting”, if you know what I mean. But everyone got satisfied after all, and we headed for our perched village and a calvados - or two. Thanks for dinner, m and p!

Today the sun is hotter than ever. K and MiL are on a long walk. M and p are on a short walk. And me? Just sitting here on the terrace in my swimming trunks, enjoying the sun and the silence… Real nice!

/J



Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

M and P seem to have set a standardM and P seem to have set a standard
M and P seem to have set a standard

Always treat the host couple with a bottle of Nathalie's best champagne!
Santé (?)Santé (?)
Santé (?)

I've already forgotten what the word for cheers is... Never mind, nothing wrong with the spirit!
A local speciality.A local speciality.
A local speciality.

Something is stuffed, and something is veal. That much I understood. I tasted.... ah.... interesting...
M is not used to Espresso the Nice way.M is not used to Espresso the Nice way.
M is not used to Espresso the Nice way.

But it was... ah... "interesting"...
Seven guys in the skySeven guys in the sky
Seven guys in the sky

Now and then swapping colors with each other.... Meaning?... Well, feel free to interpret it in a comment!


7th April 2009

Nice looks nice! ;) My interpretation is that each statue represents a continent, and the color changing represent the communication between different communities of today's society. Looks like typical Jaume Plensa work to me.
7th April 2009

Really nice, G!
Yeah, you're probably right. Plensa. When you mention it. It's so typical spanish. From... say 2004? Wouldn't you say? You're a damn good interpreter, G! :-) /J
7th April 2009

Vad roligt!
Vad roligt att ni har det bra! Är det varmt nu??? Har Sixten gjort er nåt sällskap???? Hälsa alla därborta!!! Kram Lilla K!
7th April 2009

Jepp, Lilla K!
Sommaren är tillbaka! Och Sixten, så klart! Du missade väl inte hans yogapass med K i "The sun and Sixten are back"?! Jag lovar att hälsa till Sixten och ge honom en kram från dig! /J
7th April 2009

Statues
I agree with G and I think that Plensa's work represents the seven continents and the communication between the different communities of today’s society. I'd like it to represent the seven steps Buddha walked after his birth, symbolising the ascent of the seven cosmic stages (They look like tiny levitating buddhas on the pics). Or the seven virtues :)
8th April 2009

Great, J!
Now we're talking art. Thanks! Great to have more than one way to interpret this piece of art! /J (The originally J)
8th April 2009

The original J??
Hmmm...I think we´ll need to discuss this ;-) I mean, does that make me J2, Jjr or little J? Guess I could live with little J. Always loved Bonanza =) Bon voyage mes amis!
8th April 2009

Tip
By the way guys, forgot to mention that I've spent some time at the riviera (in my flashy pharmaceutical days) and gt some tips: Antibes, the old town is really nice (I wasn´t to keen on the Picasso museum though) as well as the cap. And Juan-les-pins is a nice place as well, the nitelife is great! But it's also nice to just stroll around, eat nice and chill there.
9th April 2009

Why not, L.J?
"Little J" sounds kind of cool, doesn't it? /Big J
9th April 2009

How'd you know, Little J?!
We just got home... from Antibes! Tell you more in next entry. It's late and we got to eat our pizzas from the pizza van, which was parked on our way home from the supermarket... Couldn't resist it! See you. /J

Tot: 0.239s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0713s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb