I'd kill for french fries. Seriously murder someone.


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur » Marseille
September 16th 2007
Published: January 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

After my cricket match I trained back to Wigan and had a big night on the hooligan juice with Jaimee, Todd and his cricket team. There were some characters, one who was 18 that is fired from a new job every week, does superb Forrest Gump impressions and was chatting up 50 year olds on the dance floor. The night got even better when Todd found £50 on the sidewalk and shouted drinks. I think Jaimee probably should have passed on the free drinks because she was, shall we say very merry, nah that doesn't do her justice, she was pissed.

Therefore when we woke her early the next morning she was feeling less than awesome and was in a panicked state to get her bags packed for our trip. Oh yeah I forgot to mention that for Todd’s 21st present Jaimee and I shouted Todd a trip to Marseille, France. It was an absolute mad rush when we arrived at Wigan train station, we made the train about 5 seconds before it pulled off. By the time we had made it to Liverpool and bused out to John Lennon airport we had sobered up a little. Our flight arrived into Nimes from where we caught a train to Marseille. This was a little eventful. To start with we missed the first train, even though we were sitting on the correct platform and saw the train arrive, we were far to casual in our walk to get on the train and stood with mouths gaping open as the doors shut and it took off. Thankfully there was another train only 5 minute later, we were counting our lucky stars and had only got up to 13 when the train crapped out and we sat around for an hour. They made announcement after announcement in French that we couldn’t understand, then people started getting off so we got off, then people got back on so we got back on, then some people got off but they were just smoking so we stayed on, then another announcement that bought cheers and we were on our way.

Our hostel was right next to the train station so we dumped our packs in and went to look for somewhere to eat because we were all starving. Todd suggested McDonalds but we wanted to try something French, 2 hours later after walking around half of Marseille and not finding anything to our liking we decided McDonalds was our best bet, at least they do French fries. Anyway we backtracked to the McDonalds and were so excited about eating, we rounded the corner and it was just being closed. Tears welled in Todds eyes. A bit later we found a whole street of burger joints and ate like complete savages, only breathing when we absolutely needed to. I think we got extra fries because the guy serving us was hitting on Jaimee, I guess Todd and I should have been protective brothers but we were just so hungry.

Later on we checked out Marseille’s Arc De Triumph, it was pretty impressive but I will remember it for the rats running out of the sewers nearby. God I hate rats. And asparagus, but that’s another story. We all slept like babies that night.



Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.266s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 34; qc: 126; dbt: 0.1472s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb