Day 6 - Arles and Marseilles


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur » Arles
June 25th 2016
Published: June 26th 2016
Edit Blog Post

A good sleep for our first night in the ship but we have an early start so that is a bit of a bugger. our tour to Marseille starts at 0800 so early breakfast and off. We are on the big red bus (groups broken up for ease of tour guides). Our guide speaks well so she has our attention, but as usual with tour guides, once they get the microphone in their hand they don't stop talking.

Arrive in Marseille and start our walk. After about 20 steps all we get in our earpieces is heavy breathing. A bit off putting as at least 3 around us mention the fact she is almost putting the sky breathing on for us. But no, as we walk anywhere we get the huffing and puffing in our ear. We wander around the old town then stop for a pastis. What is a psastis you ask. Pernod, ice and water. Actually very nice.

We walk down to the port area where we have some free time. Wander along the fresh fish stalls of the local fishermen. Lots of interesting fish, octupus and sardines on display. Back to the bus and back to the ship for lunch. And a cold beer, a bit hot out there.

This afternoon is free time. Some go walking, some go riding bikes and some go sleeping. The walk is interesting. Lots of little streets/alleyways to get lost in. After about an hour I decide it is too hot so back for an even colder beer this time. Yum.

Tonight we have the Captains welcome dinner. We are meant to frock up so I give in and put long pants and shoes on... Turns out he doesn't even show for his own dinner. Could have worn the formal shorts.......

They put on a show with Spanish guitarists and a flamenco dancer. Very good entertainment. Then up to the sun deck for an evening drink. Talking to a couple whose house was just spared in the Wye River fires at Christmas. Lucky people.

To bed now.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.317s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0916s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb