Day 3 - Bayeaux to Langeais, France


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Pays-de-la-Loire
September 12th 2018
Published: September 13th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


It was difficult getting up this morning. We were up till 11:00 pm finishing yesterday's blog. The wine didn't help either. Today is another great day, weather wise. Our first stop after leaving Bayeaux was Mont St. Michele. As you approach from a distance it looks like a midevil island, which it is. Very surreal. It was much more crowded than our last visit, but worth the long wait for the shuttle bus to take us across the causeway. At one time, the island was only reachable during low tide. Many people lost their lives crossing the flats, as the tides can rise up to 45 feet, and rush in at incredible speed. Today there is a causeway that people can walk across or take a bus. As you enter the city through the drawbridge gate, you are brought back in time. Cobblestone steps and walkways are now lined with shops and restaurants as you climb your way upward to the great abbey. It is difficult to imagine how this could have all been constructed on this rock that is 264 ft high. Mont St. Michelle is the 3rd most visited site, after the Louvre and the Eiffel Tower. The original building was completed in 1144, but additio buildings were added in the 13th century to accommodate the monks. We enjoyed our tour very much as well as the spectacular views.

After a delicious lunch, we headed southeast toward Rigy-Usse for our next stop. We hadn't made any reservations for this stop, and when we got to Langaeis, we found getting a room was most difficult. We were directed to a small B&B on a tiny street that did not appear appealing, however, as we were extremely tired and hungry, we knocked on the door. A young woman, named Mary, showed us in to the most beautiful and modern accommodation we could hope for. Just goes to prove you can't judge a book by it's cover.

We had dinner at a nice restaurant just up the street, and had a nice meal with good wine. Our waiter was the only person there that could speak English, and he was very nice.

Returned to our room and hit the sack.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement




13th September 2018

Great pics. Sounds wonderful trip
14th September 2018

Love your blog as always. Enjoy. Read every word. See you next blog
16th September 2018

Glad you are enjoying it!

Tot: 0.16s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 19; qc: 63; dbt: 0.0533s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb