France 52 - an excellent meal, a cracking campsite and one hell of a thunderstorm


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Nord-Pas de Calais » Calais
September 30th 2012
Published: September 30th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Our last day - home tomorrow - train booked for 9.50 French time. Not something to look forward to. Our last night was planned to be spent in Guines which is near enough to Calais to leave us with a short drive to the tunne of about 20 minutesl.

Our drive to Guines from our overnight stop at Troyes was fairly unintresting. But then I guess going home is always a pain. When you are on holiday there are some things you miss - a bath will be welcome and our usual bed. But somehow at this point we would both be happy to turn around and for the the holiday to go on forever. It is always sad to leave French soil and head home knowing that we wont be going away again for at least another 6 months and by then it will be 2013.

On our journey towards Guines we realised it must be hunting and fishing season here in France. Anything that moved seemed in danger of being blasted to oblivion by the hundreds of hunters we saw in the fields. They walked either in packs or alone stalking their prey in the fields. Their wives the beaters, their dogs ready for the kill and a gun under their arm. Most looked as if they were hunting birds perhaps pheasant and they would after their blasting session head home for Sunday lunch.

We passed Vimy Ridge. Another place on the tick list to visit. Perhaps next time. The weather was turning nasty with some dark clouds gathering and a storm on its way. We needed to be settled up before the rain hit. Who wants to be on the road in torrential rain?

Our stopover was to be Le Bien Assise an excellent site with 198 enplacements. All emplacements seemed to be on grass and with the rain threatening we wished they had provided some hard standings. Small bushes and trees divided each plot giving a degree of privacy. It was clear that we were staying in more of an up market campsite which originally had been a country seat of some minor french aristocracy. Reception was excellent and comprised of one french speaking receptionist and one English. The cost was only slightly more than we normally paid and the facilities in season included an indoor swimming pool, a restaurant, a shop and
Guines Guines Guines

On the way - an empty sunday road
a snack bar. At this time of year the swimming pool was still open. I tried it out and although small was excellent. The snack bar and the shop sadly were closed but the restaurant open. I walked over before the rain hit to book a table for our last evening meal in France. WiFi was available over 80% of the site but we didnt bother with it as it seemed a touch expensive and anyway tomorrow we would be back in front of our own internet. Kathrein worked but then we didnt expect anything different this close to home.

As the afternoon wore on The skies blackened, the rain came down in stairrods pounding on the van roof. Lightening and thunder roared and there was no way we were going into that rain. Puddles filled up around the van and the rain ran like a river behind us. Our electric cables to the van hidden in the water. The worry was going to be would we get off the grass in the morning or would the grass and mud churn up?. Also thoughts of home - would my car start after standing in the rain on the drive
Guines  Guines  Guines

main course
for three weeks?.

The rain eventually subsided by 6.00 and the sky cleared. The puddles around the van drained away and the river behind us flowed less fast. We walked to the restaurant which was set in an old courtyard complete with its pigeon house built in stone. The restaurant La Ferme Gourmande is to be highly recommended. Decor simple mostly white and modern. Tables set beautifully and staff attentive and friendly. The menu was a joy with plenty of choice that no-one could fail to be impressed. A set meal of three courses for 18 euros 95, a second choice of set meal of three courses at 23 euros 95. The set meals increased in price right through 30 odd euros to 50 depending on your choice. The more expensive or exotic the starter or main course the higher the price of the meal. There were individual a la carte choices too so plenty of choice to suit all. Even child size portions and choices. . We picked the 23 euro meal as this suited us better than the cheaper one.

Himself chose a melon and ham salad which turned out to be the prettiest salad seen
italy italy italy

Etruscan tombs
for a long time. Apples,melon and pineapple sliced thinly, curled and placed artistically on the plate. . Strawberries mixed with ham and lettuce. It looked too good to eat but eat it he did enjoying every morsel. I chose a regional pancake filled with soft runny cheese and ham. It melted in the mouth and every mouthful was a treat washed down with the local house wine.

OUr main course was Pork cooked to perfection, jacket potatoes with the filling scraped out and mixed with something very tasty and filo parcels full of colourful peppers. Pudding for himself three icecreams with cream and strawberries. For myself I chose the cheeseboard. Having been taken to the cheeseboard to choose my cheeses I realised I had little idea of what they were. I invited the young waitress to choose for me. She picked nutty strong cheeses and they were a delight. Only small portions but just enough without making me feel too full. Finished off with expressos . What a lovely end to our last day.

The following morning headed to the tunnel and as usual arrived too early but got on an earlier train. A very painless experience as usual.

Arriving in Britain we hit yet again the mother of all storms which had followed us from Guines. Our ride up the M1 was frightening in the torrential rain and it was a relief to arrive home.

What a lovely holiday and here of course are the facts:

We travelled 3501 miles through only 2 countries , France and Italy

Our diesel consumption according to the on board computer is 25.4 mpg however a manual calculation suggests the computer is not quite right and we are actually doing much better than that.

We spent 379.10 euros on camping which averages at 16 .48 euros a night . There are savings to be found her once we start to use aires for part of the holiday if we ever do.

Food shopping (this means grocery shopping and everything we bought that we ate in the van) Euros 242.09.

Diesel Euros 682.92 , We may be able to improve this if we can hunt out cheaper petrol stations but what you gain on the price you lose sometimes searching them out.

Transport - this includes boats, trains and buses - 64.40 euros. The biggest cost the boat on Lake Maggiore and the train to Marsilles. There are cheaper options using Over 60 passes but they seem expensive to buy up front and doubt if we would use them enough to make them good value.

Entry fees to museums and castles ; We spent 60 euros 20. This is reduced from our normal spend as some of the attractions were closed and we made a decision to be selective. We tend now to look around the outside rather than go in unless there is something specific we want to see. We also gained by some museums allowing free or reduced access for over 60's or over 65's. It is important to do your homework before you go otherwise the attendants do not always offer the discounts unless you push for them.

Meals out cost 370 euros and 30 cents. This included lunches, coffees and cakes in cafes and evening meals. We didnt eat out all the time but again were a touch selective.

Parking cost 16 euros. We tried to park on free aires in the day where we could.

WiFi : 15 euros . We found more campsites this time with both reasonable or free internet access. This is variable depending on campsites. Probably luck involved finding the cheaper access.

We have little idea at the moment about tolls. We used the french motorways all the way down to Besancon as we were in a hurry to get to Lake Baveno and "start our holiday" We also used the motorways along the Med and then back home to Calais. We paid for a bpx and we will be charged directly to our account some time next month. We also paid 7 euro 90 to hire an Italian go box. We used some italian motorways to Siena and to Rome and around Genoa. We returned the box at a cost of £9 for postage. Whatever the cost we would still use the boxes again as they save hassle trying to negotiate what are now largely unmanned peages.

The weather : Out of the 23 days away it rained for 3 days - one as we entered Italy over the Simplon and over the last two days through Burgundy to Troyes and Calais. Otherwise the 20 days were wall to wall sunshine.

Whats next- hopefully a few more short trips this side of Christmas and the planning for May 2013. Looks like it will be down to Dubrovnik and whatever else comes up on the way.

Au revoir /Ciao

Advertisement



Tot: 0.681s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 45; qc: 181; dbt: 0.3582s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.6mb