Arrival on the Continent - Land all the way from here!


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Nord-Pas de Calais » Calais
June 10th 2006
Published: June 10th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Brits Abroad!Brits Abroad!Brits Abroad!

Do I really need to say anything about this?
Day 9, 9th June.

Lydd - Dover (ferry) Calais (FRANCE) - Wissant

The landlord gave us tea this morning and we set off at ten for Dover, it was a lovely sunny day. The route was fairly flat to Folkstone where we had lunch and split up, arranging to meet up at the Hoverspeed terminal in Dover. Rory and Toby decided to see the Russian nuclear sub in the harbour, I cycled with Scott and Leslie uphill, to Dover. We stopped at the Battle of Britain memorial on the cliffs and could see France in the distance. We had ice-cream in Dover and waited at the terminal for the others who arrived with minutes to spare. We bade goodbye to England till - I don’t know when and the boat left at 4pm.

The white cliffs disappeared into the distance and France grew closer until houses were visible. After a 40 minute crossing we rode into Europe - land all the way from here now - all the way to Singapore.

After negotiating Calais we headed along the coast south-westerly to Wissant where Urs* has his caravan. He was asleep when I knocked on the window, apparently
Wissant - Bunkers!Wissant - Bunkers!Wissant - Bunkers!

The small village of Wissant near Calais. WWII German bunker now lie stranded on the beach since the sea has eroded the dunes on which they were originally built.
after a heavy drinking session. He awoke and produced 2 huge cans a lager and Boonekamp** which I eagerly drank. Many drinks later we headed down to the beach to see the lights of England before I drunkenly passed out in Urs’s caravan.

*Urs, is a German guy I know through his brother, Mark, who I met in New Zealand in 1997 and cycled for 2 months with. Mark and Urs come from Düsseldorf.
**“Boonekamp”, is a 44% Vol herbal liqueur drink in a small 20 ml bottle. An aperitif.

Total Miles: 376.52 Todays Miles: 45.65 Average speed: 10.0 Time on bike: 4:34



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

French FrancsFrench Francs
French Francs

A couple of notes I picked up in Calais for my collection.
Weapon facilityWeapon facility
Weapon facility

Ticket to the German V3 Super-Gun bunker.


Tot: 0.667s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 24; qc: 108; dbt: 0.4137s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb