Engagement Party


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Lorraine » Metz
March 10th 2008
Published: March 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

This is Rombas, and I live here in France. The three points are roads and host families I have lived in so far!

My RoomMy RoomMy Room

I know now that I have integrated into the family... when Pierre throws all of his clothes in my room.
On Saturday the Galvez's had a big engagement party for their eldest son Matthieu and his fiance Claire. Claire's family arrived late in the afternoon, and then her mom came later. She has two siblings whose names I completely forget (yeah, kinda typical of me!), and her parents are divorced. We started eating around 9:30pm, and finished at 1am! Seriously, when people have ANY type of party in France, it lasts until midnight or 2am even if it is totally awkward. In America, we end things at 10pm! I think we need to learn something from the French... including eating.

Anyway, we ate a traditional Spanish food called Paella. Antoine Galvez is Spanish, and it's one of his favorites, so obviously Rosa learned how to make it even though she is Portuguese. Basically it's a mix of seafood in yellow rice... calamari, octopus, mussels, chicken, shrimp, etc. It's definitely not for someone who gets queasy because when you make it, you stick the shrimp heads out of the rice! HAHA. Believe it or not, I ate all of it even though I really don't like calamari or anything.

Matthieu and Claire's engagement gifts were a lantern representing the light
Newton & PierreNewton & PierreNewton & Pierre

The cherished cat...
they will shed together for the rest of their lives, and a tool to build their house with together representing that they have to take things one step at a time. Both of their families are religious, so it was different for me to be there because they do prayers for dinner. I am Christian-Protestant (and so are the Galvez's), but I have yet to believe in something... if ever.

All the Galvez boys played the guitar together, and did duets with the piano too. It was SO much fun, even though the neighbors probably did not appreciate French singing in the middle of the night. 😉 I filmed a lot of the moments during the night, so I'll post some videos up!

By the way, here is the Galvez family:
Antoine- dad
Rosa- mom
Matthieu- 24 yrs.
Pierre- 22 yrs.
Etienne- almost 20yrs.
Melodie- 16yrs.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

PaellaPaella
Paella

This is Paella!
Emelie & JeremyEmelie & Jeremy
Emelie & Jeremy

Look at his HUGE smile! :)
Muscle ContestMuscle Contest
Muscle Contest

Well, this was bound to happen at some point!
ClaireClaire
Claire

Matthieu's fiance! HAHA she is hilarious.
MatthieuMatthieu
Matthieu

He doesn't have much there.
EtienneEtienne
Etienne

HAHA he has a muscle ball...no kidding.
Claire's sisterClaire's sister
Claire's sister

Omg, we had so much fun.
PierreliePierrelie
Pierrelie

Claire's brother, who actually has a muscle for real!
JeremyJeremy
Jeremy

I helped him out a little with his muscle there. :)
Disgusting facesDisgusting faces
Disgusting faces

Etienne is pretty much unrecognizable
The tableThe table
The table

Seriously, 5 convos going on at one time.
The cakeThe cake
The cake

Too bad it didn't taste like anything!
GuitarGuitar
Guitar

Matthieu and Antoine playing flamenco on the guitar.


Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0418s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb