When you don't feel the way you expected to feel in a city...


Advertisement
Europe » France » Île-de-France
September 10th 2015
Published: September 23rd 2015
Edit Blog Post

This was now my second time visiting the grand city of Paris, and I was anticipating Victor and our friend's first impressions; like reliving my first impression and experiences through their eyes. But from the very start, things weren't going as well as we all thought they would. Sometimes we go to a new destination and get our expectations shattered. Where do these unrealistic expectations even ... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 93, Displayed: 21


Advertisement




23rd September 2015

Oh, no say it isn't so!
First of all what a well written blog and even if you didn't enjoy Paris this time, the pictures are wonderful! We have been to a few places now that weren't quite what we expected. It seems to especially happen in places we have been before and had an excellent time in. As you say, perhaps if you spent longer or went a little slower. Or perhaps if you had of gone somewhere new.....Great blog anyway and it's nice to hear someone being honest about travel for a change. Sometimes it just isn't that great (but the pictures are nice!).
23rd September 2015

Yep, it was so :)
Nanci and David I really appreciate your comment! I had a feeling you would respond this way, since you guys had such a lovely experience in Paris (and I love your photos from those trips as well.) In the back of my mind I was scared I'd get flogged for my interpretation of our experience, so I'm glad you appreciated my honesty!! Thanks so much :)
24th September 2015

Quel domage!
What a pity you had a bad experience. . I have travelled in France to many different places and love the countryside having often just followed the brown tourist signs off the motorway also I have met some lovely French people. Parisians and those from Monaco have a reputation for being rather snooty! Sometimes places off the beaten tourist track give you a better feel than the " must see" places. Best wishes
24th September 2015

Hi Lynn!
I wish I had visited the countryside like you have, and I am certain it would have been a better choice for us, so that's definitely what we'd do next time if we ever get the chance! On my first trip to France I met some really great people, and the second time I came across more snooty ones as you say, but that's how it goes... That's why we appreciate it so much when we meet sweet people on our travels, and they always end up becoming a major part of our happy memories of that country.
24th September 2015

Gorgeous photos as usual!
I loved this blog Jennifer. I agree with your point about expectations (I need to curb mine from time to time); but having said that, sometimes we just don't connect with a place for whatever unexplainable reason. Sorry to hear that this is your last stop on this trip - hoping to see you blogging about your thoughts on your next trip :)
24th September 2015

:)
Thanks Ren & Andrew! Perfectly said, and I'm glad we aren't the only ones not connecting with places from time to time. I'm sure we'll have better luck next time, just gotta keep those expectations in check and listen more to our intuitions. Looking forward to reading about your future travels as well :)
26th September 2015

Paris in Paris
Hello! I am so sorry for you that you didn't enjoy your visit to Paris. And I tell you, I do understand what you are on about! However. I have been living just outside the city of Paris now a good while, and there is the "real" Paris to be found, but unfortunately it's not where all the tourists are. ..or most of them.. Of course, people want to see the Tour Eiffel, Louvre, Notre Dame and so on. I have been visiting them dozens of times, because every time a friend comes over to see me, they naturally want to see the sights. But. If you get off the beaten track and the restaurants full of other foreigners, there is a really great city to be found. You do not get away from the traffic and cigarette smoke though.. And just outside the city, there are some amazing places to visit, and just a fraction of people. Chantilly is the place I recommend. A beautiful castle (probably recognized by many from being in the bond film "A view to kill") and its gardens and even more beautiful stables, with also a horse museum. Because Chantilly is populated by horsy gallop people, its international in a friendly way and most of the people do speak english, voluntarily. On the south side, is among other nice places Charters, beautiful cathedral, nice small town, the champagne country on the east side, the drive there through the pretty old villages and a couple of lakes, that's worth it. To summarize it; Paris can be extremely nice, but you would actually have some "local" to guide you, and not attempt to see all of it, especially within a limited time. France outside Paris is definitely worth experiencing, I highly recommend Normandie, Champagne, Bordeaux region, Lyon, Camargue and Nice. Hope you will be back someday, and find France that you like!
26th September 2015

Great Advice
This is wonderful priceless advice, and hopefully those interested in visiting Paris will get a chance to read your comment before their trip. I also appreciate the manner in which you worded your advice! There is no doubt in my mind that there are places in France that we would love, and my hope is to one day be able to go back and give it an other chance :) thank you

Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 14; qc: 21; dbt: 0.0274s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb