Em makes cheese...


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France
March 14th 2014
Published: March 16th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Apparently the playground on Wednesday was a breeding ground for all the horrendous things a child can ingest. Em managed to get a good dose of gastro and we found out that she makes cheese out of milk - at least that's the way it came back up! We had yesterday resting at home so she could get over it.

Anyway, she seemed to feel a bit better today and we didn't know yet that she was really quite ill so after a couple of hours we packed her into the carrier and headed out to Montmarte and Sacre Coeur. Em fell asleep on the train and only stirred when another group of buskers jumped on our car. She finally woke when we were walking up the hill toward the basilica and was very interested in the double decker carousel.

Sacre Coeur basilica is an awesome sight from below, it's pristine white dome rising far above, from the top of the hill. Inside there is no photography allowed but the vaulted ceilings and stained glass were every bit as good as the Notre Dame cathedral. The view from the front is a panorama of Paris but unfortunately, the fog (smog?) was still too thick to see much. Em was still feeling very tired and we couldn't interest her in lunch either so she went back to sleep and we moved on to the Louvre.

I did not know but there is a whole shopping mall beneath the Louvre mostly for high end fashion and of course an Apple store right at the centre! We didn't really want to go into the museum, especially with a grumpy 3 year old so we just wandered around the outside and the gardens. What a magnificent building! I always think it is such a shame that there is almost no possibility of building these kinds of things today as the cost would be prohibitive but we should definitely preserve what has been built as the architecture and artistry is simply amazing. I can also understand why many French people think that the glass pyramid in the courtyard is a blight on the beauty of the original building - it certainly looks extremely out of place and does not compliment the building in any way. But each to their own...

After strolling the gardens, we got back on the train and retired to our apartment for the afternoon. We were also starting to get a bit worried about Em as she had slept nearly all day and when she returned the tiny amount of dinner she managed to eat, she fell straight back to sleep. We hoped she would feel better in the morning.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.512s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 55; dbt: 0.1551s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb