Playgrounds and Cathedrals


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France
March 12th 2014
Published: March 16th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Notre Dame CathedralNotre Dame CathedralNotre Dame Cathedral

Another pose from Em
We wanted to make sure Em has fun on this trip too so we made our way to the Jardin du Luxembourg or Luxembourg Gardens. An beautiful former palace looks over a huge pond and fountain where locals bask in the sun on chairs on almost every path. The palace was used as a prison during the revolution and is now the home of the Senate and government offices.

Something difficult to get used to coming from Australia is that you are not allowed on the grassed areas - they are for decoration only. Three year olds have a little trouble with that concept but after a look around, we made our way to what is touted as the best playground in Paris. OK... it's pretty good! Em climbed on everything and rode all the springy horses/cars/camels/etc at least twice. They even had a kind of roller coaster with ropes you hang off but that was for the older kids 😞 We had lunch in the playground then went for a bit more of a wander through the gardens. Em showed us how to run really fast - "you stop, then you go like this...".

Back on the train and we made for the centre of Paris and Notre Dame cathedral. All over Paris, buskers ride the trains all day, getting on and off at different stops and playing in the trains for their coins. Em was a bit scared at first as they were right in front of us and they were quite loud. After a couple of rousing tunes the lead player walks up and down the car shaking his money cup at everyone. By the look of it, they do considerably better than the buskers we usually see in Perth!

From the outside, Notre Dame Cathedral is an imposing building with two huge towers and gothic arches. Pictures don't really do the size of it justice. Entering through one of the arches you are transported into a different world with enormous vaulted roof and huge buttresses. The stained glass windows are beautiful casting coloured lights across the floors. We couldn't find the stairs up the towers fast enough though and Em started getting impatient. As there is strict silence in the hall (it is still a fully functioning church) we had to leave and we had another look around outside instead. Little did we know that Em was actually developing a nice little dose of gastroenteritis...


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.34s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1011s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb