Montmartre Le Muse'e de Montmartre. Sacre Coeur


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France
September 19th 2012
Published: September 19th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Today we set out early(for us) to take Sharon to Montmartre. The Artist community of 1907 Picasso, Dali, DuChamp and Lautrec is now a thriving ethnic community. Painters andpoets from Picasso to Hemingway will forever be associated with the arty and Bohemian lifestyle of this area.

The highest point of the city of Paris where the Sacre Coeur Cathedral stands is one of the most visited sites of the city. Sacre Coeur (sacred heart) is built of Chateau-Landon stone...which secretes calcite when wet and bleaches the facade white. Priests pray for the souls of the dead here 24 hours a day....and have since 1885!

The Muse'e of Montmartre, set in one of Montmartre's finest townhouses, was once the home of Renoir, Dufy and Utrillo. artifacts from the 19th. Century are on display that conjure up the era The history of the bohemian cabarets such as the Chat Noir (famous black cat poster) by Steinlen.

We strolled the beautiful back streets of this lovely part of the city,stopped ay a street cafe for wine, and rode the metro home. We did go back out this evening for a light dinner and dessert....What a lovely day in Paris.


Additional photos below
Photos: 2, Displayed: 2


Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0511s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb