Vicarious Parisienne


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France
July 5th 2012
Published: July 6th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Waiting in Philly Waiting in Philly Waiting in Philly

Recharging batteries
Here we are in Paris - the city that makes me happiest and the city that makes me cry...all in the same moment. We had an uneventful flight after seeing a family from SDJA on our same flight to Philly (they were going to Israel). I did manage to trade Lee's aisle seat for a middle through a series of unfortunate miscommunication with the man behind me. I took the bullet and sat transatlantic in the middle. Great movies were available so we watched "Hugo" to get us in the mood. The boys discovered they could order beers on the flight and stayed up the entire time watching movies.

We made it to our apartment where Elisabeth's mom met us with fresh croissants and baguettes. After taking one bite, we could see why the french got excited enough to start a revolution. She was a mix of Julia Child and the quintessential Frenchwoman and she made us feel right at home. The apartment of the host couple is an old Haussmann, complete with creaky wooden floors, tiny kitchen, and huge windows. Our swap family are a couple of young artists, so the place is covered with their art and inspiration,
Notre Dame Notre Dame Notre Dame

Gargoyles
including a bathroom painted with chalk paint and covered in graffiti. I hope they leave something on our chalk wall!

We left our new home to find cell phones and food. Disposable cell phones are harder than you think to find in Paris so we gave up for the day and found fooda instead. A crowded cafe in the Opera fed us ( for 78 euro...about $100- let's not do that again!) and we came home to rest. I'm not sure how many hours we'd been up by then - probably 24 at that point. I managed about an hour of rest and left to enjoy a glass of vin rouge at the very convenient cafe across the street (next to the bakery). The guys left and came back with arm loads of cd's and vinyl- apparently Paris is a music Mecca.Lee and I looked at the line for Notre Dame and came back home. Our mantra became "must not sleep until dark..." and at 10:30 pm, our wish came true.

Love- the buildings, wine, flowers, strolling along the Seine, hearing the language, man bags ( every man has them, and gorgeous leather shoes, too!) Ry wants to stay here forever and I hope he does because he'll let me stay with him!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



6th July 2012

We are the vicarious ones!
love your blog! thank you thank you, and the apple way too cool dude pic. Glad to hear things are as they should be.. food, wine, ballet etc. hope the boys are out seeing the town besides the record shops! Ry'd better pace himself on acquisitions. Thank you for keeping us vicariously along for the ride.

Tot: 0.175s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.042s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb