galway and planned vacation, volcano, paris part deux and home!!!


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris » Sarcelles
April 25th 2010
Published: April 25th 2010
Edit Blog Post

First off I want to again thank all of you for your prayers!! Especially my godfather for expediting me in the line of requests, since i know has a special connection with the man upstairs. and my mother for worrying through i know at least one rosary chain. I will be forever thankful!

So this might end up being ridiculously long (please tell me how long it actually takes to read all of it- im kinda curious) and in parts separated by dates. If you want any more info than I have provided, for i have skipped over the details of most parts, please let me know and I will fill in the bits. But here it goes from the beginning of the most random and stressful adventure of my life...

It started on 5 April, Lara and I ventured to Galway. On the way our bus broke down and we had to wait for another to come collect us. We didn't have a single plan nor had we read about what we could do from a guidebook. We wanted to go in and be completely free to do what we pleased. Actually that is part lie, we did have one plan- to get claddagh rings so that was our first and only mission. We decided to just go and see how it all worked out. First we made a b-line for thomas dillan's which is where the original claddagh ring is still made. They even had a cute little free museum where they had collected rings from all past history. After that we ended up in this really cute hostel that the lady who sold us our rings told us about. It even had a din where they were playing movies. From both of our perspectives, Galway was what Ireland was meant to be. So far Ireland has been a bit american and lacking great enthusiasm for the irish pride but boy did we find it in Galway. Every irish pub in the town had a session going and gathered in the townsfolk for some craic. I met one who even spoke irish and talked to me a little. We also met a guy from new york who had come to ireland to play and work in a music shop. It was so lovely of a town, I can't wait to go back! We then met up with my friend and her family at one of the pubs close to our hostel. They were great fun!!

6 April, We walked around a bit and went to the very windy harbor. You will see from a few pics that my hair just absolutely attacked my face! It was amazing!! ahah It was amazing though how much it reminded me of home and how much I really wanted to be out on the water- more on that with Venice. The stores and the people were very cute... one lady welcomed us into this knitting shop where she had been knitting the items for 50 years. She said only within the last few years has she had to hire on. Even as we were standing there she was knitting a little hat for her grandchild. Soon after we grabbed a take away lunch (ireland doesn't have 'take-out' it is called take-away, just a tidbit) and headed back for cork so.

7 April, we were able to relax and plan for our upcoming travels. Lara was off to italy soon after us and kasey and I dearly needed to pack. I also wrote back my sister's class which is why I was unable to write a longer blog on that day. I hope she got it and that it was received well?

8 April, we started our venture to Paris. We finally got there around 11pm after being on a train and plain for quite a few hours. We found the hotel easy enough and since josh had arrived earlier we were already checked in. It was a tiny room for 3 but our breakfast of bread and jam was included and it was a comfortable bed so I didnt mind.

9 April, Josh and I got up early and went for a little walk while Kasey slept some more. It was really nice we stumbled upon a church, a cheese shop and even the bastille. Which was way closer to our place than we realized. Later we went to the Louvre. We actually managed to get in free with our european student id cards which came to be a trend for the rest of our time there. The Louvre was FABULOUS!! I was really amazed how much i remembered though- even the layout. It was utterly fantastic to see again and even the things I took for granted last time, mainly the mona lisa, I had a chance to change my mind and be completely amazed that I was so lucky. I remember the last time being there, not really liking paris. I cant say i really changed my mind but i do have a better appreciation for it and realize that it is not just a tourist spot but a functional city and also our place of refuge for over a week. The louvre was pretty much the same, I was more amazed that I was there than at what I was seeing the first time around, but after 5 hours of walking around this time and not really making a dent and seeing countless works that i have studied in my classes, I started to see how amazing this opportunity was. We also came upon the conservation wing and although this has just recently become my main career path, I was utterly amazed that some day I might be able to come back and actually work there. My mom will be really jealous because we did actually get to see a large portion, including the egyptian section. I will bring you back one day 😊 It was funny though after those many hours of walking around, kasey and josh had a joint census that they were done with art and museums for maybe the rest of the trip... wimps! (I convinced them to go to the d'Orsay later in the week though, so don't worry!)

10 April, This day was Josh's birthday so we agreed to let him choose what he wanted to do. He wanted to see Paris so we got a ticket for the day on a water taxi that dropped us off at famous locations around paris. So we walked along the Chomps elysees towards the arch of triumph then went to the eiffel tower. We decided to go up the eiffel tower at dusk so this time we just looked and awed. We then went to the Notre Dame. We then went back to the eiffel tower and to waste a little time ate dinner at a restaurant my mom and I actually went to (the onion soup place). I thought I remembered it but I wasn't quite sure until I saw the menu, I was also able to see our hotel where we stayed the last time- it was great to be back and have such great memories!! After that we got in the queue to go up the eiffel tower. Kasey decided she did not care to go up, so she met up with her friend (who we ended up staying with during our refugee week). It was just around dusk, so perfect time to ride the long ride upwards. Upon getting there we start madly taking photos and marveling at how awesome it was to be up there. I thought I remember how high and how miraculous it was, but my memory failed me. It was by far the best part of the trip!! They even had a garden installation on the 1st floor that was beautifully lit up! And night was amazing! From the very top they flash the call lights, they looked like light sabers. I was so amazed with them and josh thoroughly made fun of me for it. But I still got a bunch of pictures with them 😉 It was really amazing as well that when the lights started flashing they became a reflection of the camera flashes down below. It was utterly breathtaking and I really wished I could trade places with my mom for a few minutes so she could see that. I dont think we went up at night last time? Again- next time!

11 April, I actually convinced them to go to the Musee d'Orsay, even after the louvre marathon. We were searching for something to do and I was the only one who really wanted to do something, so they folded :D But in the end they were very glad that they did... and again we got in free. Ok WOW!! the museum itself was incredible- not like the louvre with a lot of history, but just an incredible space for art!! It was a converted train station that was a bit of a nod to the impressionist's reoccurring theme. The art itself was just amazing. I am a big fan of Degas, Van Gogh, Monet and Cassat and they actually had all of them and a lot more. It was very well laid out and incredible to just continue to be hit with star pieces and star names. There was this one unnamed piece that i was quite taken with and i even managed to snatch a picture of it (photos were prohibited). it is a woman made of marble but the different forms of marble and the way it was done was just beyond words. So in the end we were all very glad that we went even though once done we were really exhausted and they were quite done with art altogether.

12 April, on this day josh left pretty early to catch his flight. kasey and I awoke hours later, and ventured around paris. We stumbled upon this beautiful garden where these parisians were performing some dance. It was really interesting and we ended up staying for quite a bit. After that we found this place where they served pho. Kasey has been talking about it her whole time in ireland so i decided to forgo my picky eating and try something new. it was FANTASTIC!! (we actually went again on our second time in paris) it was SO good!! a big bowl of soup that can be made spicier with this red sauce, it has noodles meat and some other things in it. I fell in love with the mint kick and swore to find a place that serves this back in cali. After we were successfully stuffed to the gills we made our way to the airport and funny enough I actually said to kasey in the airport that I wasn't sure when I would ever be able to make it back to paris again; little did i know it would be within only a few days. We got there around 10pm and were able to find our hotel's front after a little searching. We were actually led to a residential section where they had rented apartments as the rooms. It was SO nice!! We were both very shocked and utterly enchanted with Venice already. Let me tell you, Venice is gorgeous!!! ONE of the most beautiful places i have ever been if not the most beautiful. We walked along the grand canal and came to realize that Venice is rightly so, one of the top places to honeymoon. In our room though we had a huge balcony, marble floors and even a sail draped across the ceiling. It was so amazing!

13 April, we slept really well and made a plan to get lost in the city. It is actually really small so even getting lost is a challenge but we managed to. It was incredible; really i can't describe how amazing it was there! I kept saying I WANT TO LIVE HERE!! and really want to go back! The shady Gondola men were really funny and although we both wanted to ride one we decided to save that for the next trip. We found San Marco Square, where you are forbidden to eat or play games around. And along the way we saw a ton of masks that were just beyond anything either one of us had ever seen. We both agreed that Venice was WAY better than paris and would return some day to experience it again. Again on this trip, we tried to eat as much Gelato as possible!! I have to say we did very well. We also had a fantastic meal one night that included tortellini in a cream sauce with ham. Sounds a bit strange but it is a Venice special and it was really great!! On the way back to our hotel we saw an irish pub- we both laughed and kind of wanted to go in, but resisted.

14 April, We both wanted to see some of the other islands and after seeing most of the actual city Venice on the first day we decided to go to Murano. I was super excited cause this is where they famously blow glass!! It was really fun! Kasey was way impressed with my knowledge when were watching demos and they were explaining what they were doing in Italian and I had to explain in english. it obviously wasn't the exact translation but she appreciated it. It made me really miss glassblowing and very thankful that i have the time to continue my studies once back at poly. we went to eat at this thoroughly italian place and ended up ordering just at random. I actually ate- get this fried squid. it was kind of strange and a little bit disgusting me in my brain but it wasn't bad 😊 just freaky! we got strawberries on the way back and ate them on our balcony. we felt very classy!

15 April, On thursday we decided to go to some of the other islands starting with the cemetery island. They have one place for all the venetians to be burried. It was beautifully arranged and really well kept up. Everything was set up according to date and families. It was really amazing almost in league with the graves of new orleans. We weren't allowed to take photos but im sure if you are so inclined you could google it- 'cimitero' in venice and you should see it. We then went to Torcello which is an island with only 12 or so buildings on it. The main ones being the two churches that date back to the 7th century and another to the 12th century. They were beautiful! We then went to Burano were they are famous for their lace and fishing. I really considered buying something but with no piece cheaper than €30 i decided against it. After getting some more gelato we headed back to venice. It was quite amazing actually how much Venice reminded me of our boating adventures when i was younger. Every transport we took was by speed boat- it was FANTASTIC!! It made me really want to start planning a trip for the summer- maybe camping at buena lake? Since I know this is mass read- I am pretty confident that as soon as that line is read, plans will start to be made :D i hope it does spur planning, for i think it would be great fun!



16 April- titled: mission home- The night before we had packed up all of our stuff since we had to leave at 5 am the next morning to make our flight. Our hectic adventure, however, started hours earlier at around 11pm when our roommate from back in ireland texted us and told us that all flights were canceled for the next day due to a volcanic eruption in iceland. We really didnt think it was that bad and had really no choice but to wait till the morning. So we got there and found massive queues for all of the ticket offices. After about an hour waiting in the one we were told taht the it would be clear for the next day and the next flight out of italy would be the next day in milan. The next after that wasnt till monday. so we decided to get a bus and train to milan where we would stay the night and wait it out. So we started to get ready to spend the night in the airport when we got another text from our roommate again at around 11pm saying that the flights were once again pushed back. At that point we had not been able to see the news for ourselves and were basically going off of those texts and the airport officials say so. We went over to the ticket office and found a sign posted saying the same thing that all flights were canceled till monday. We got in the queue and once at the front the guy told us that the air companies were just saying that they could actually fly on monday but not for certain and to not count on it. They said that at that point the next flight available to book out of italy or anywhere in continental europe to ireland wasn't even till thursday. So we asked how else we could get back and the guy said that trains and buses were our best bet to get to paris and then from there the tunnel to london or ferry then a ferry to ireland. Thank GOD for him!! So we went to the bus people and got a ticket to get to the train station that night so that we could get to paris by the end of the next day and back to ireland by the lastest sunday evening (haha nice thinking!)

17 April, we got to the station at about 1:30am to find about 1000 other people also sleeping there and waiting to book trains. 1st off they had closed the bathrooms at midnight, so 1000 people had no bathroom for 6 hours till they opened them up again at 6 along with the ticket office. yay europe for lack of people control and appropriate laws!! (sarcasm) i walked around a bit after a few hours cause the ground was marble and i couldnt sleep cause i was so cold and couldnt stop shivering, but anyways it was insane how many people i saw peeing in the hallways and random corners!! GROSS!! We started to hear talk and chatter that most everyone was trying to get to paris to get more options to travel elsewhere. and that some friends of people had waited in the queue the day before for 4 hours and the earliest direct to paris was on the following sunday. So we started to freak quite a bit, well actually i did, kasey took the control for this. Anyway at 6 they opened the doors- serious black-friday-shopping-mothers fashion to get to the head of the line! it was kind of insane. So after being about 15 people back in the orinal line up outside which had started at half 4- we were about 50 people back and ended up waiting over an hour. Once we got to the front of the line at about half 7 the lady told us that the only way to get to paris was indirectly through another city. The best, easiest and cheapest was through geneva, switzerland where we would have to spend 7 hours. Little did we know that they one, speak yet another language there and two, use a different currency. Well the train there was absolutely beautiful! It left at half 8 so we were thankfully out of italy soon enough. I kept thinking, I wish this had been planned cause i was still so freaked and totally too exhausted to get past that and realize what we were seeing. But since neither one of us could sleep, i did take pics, so at least i wasnt completely daft. But anyway we get there and realize we can't even use the toilets, because they charge to do so and we had absolutely none of their quid nor any way of getting any that we wanted to try. So we decided to go sleep in the park. First neither one of us had slept since the the night before last and even that was not very well since we were not quite sure if we were going to be able to get out so about 48 hours of no sleep is not good haha especially when we were both so knotted up due to this whole mess. We both laid down on the grass in some random park in geneva and tried to sleep for a few hours, which we both actually managed to do 😊 we felt a little better but were both totally spent and just wanted to finally be safe and back in ireland. at around 6pm we finally were able to get on a train to paris, it was funny cause the only ticket left was first class-which was actually cheaper than going another route 2nd- but anyway we were in 1st class making our peanut butter sandwiches (oh ya we had also been living off of pb and bread bought at a market in venice for 3 days at that point- cause we had been trying to save money in venice by making lunch ourselves- but became our only food starting on the 16th) but ya so we are sitting there making our sandwiches and kasey said that she thought we had more bread than she remembered and i said maybe its jesus- referring to the loaves and fish story from the bible- which i said completely seriously. we both just started busting up laughing like, uncontrollably laughing and then we both just start crying. Imagine in 1st class on a train to paris where only a few other people even speak english, 2 girls obviously dirty and exhausted, looking a little bum-ish, crying in 1st class and making a huge ruckus. it actually made us laugh more. oh man good times! -just wanted to share that, thought it was funny. anyway, once we got to paris kasey had a friend who she had texted from the train asking if we could stay with her. At that point we were only supposed to be there one night and since we didnt get in until after 11pm we really had no other choices. We absolutely crashed!

18 April, We were out till 10 the next morning at which point we hit the internet like mad women. Kasey was desperate to get back since her brother and sister were due in on tuesday and as for me i was set to go to london on wednesday and my friend's bday bash was on monday in cork. So we both sought out ways to get back mainly for speed. We considered renting a car to get on the ferry €2000 just in car rental but we werent able to due to our age, we actually asked- foot passenger seating was booked till friday, which we didnt want to stay till- a cruise direct to cork €1000 and many bus and train combination. All were booked until the following sunday except that ferry which left on friday. We resigned ourselves to wait but grudgingly... thankfully kat said she could put us off till we left since she had space and all hostels and hotels in our price range were booked due to the mass skewed-traveling. So after 4 hours of hunting we decided to go with that and just deal with spending 6 unexpected days in paris- could have been a lot worse. But I am sad to say that unfortunately kasey's family as well as Kate's (our cork roommate) had to cancel their entire trip. After all that mess we decided to get out for a bit and kat took us to a beautiful locals park where we had a picnic and could see a wonderful view of all of paris- i think there is a pic.

19 April, Most of this gets a little jumbled and boring for the rest of the trip, sorry. plus the fact that we had done most of the tourist things we wanted to do the 1st time around, so we decided that it might behoove our health to get a few relax days after such a bad mess- especially since i was already really sick before the mayhem even started and only got worse during it. So we used the internet, read and napped most of the day. I was quite happy but kasey was off the wall bored and really anxious to get back.

20 April, We got a text on monday from our roommate saying that they had added another ferry direct to ireland due back on tuesday. So we once again had an intense internet session and tried to get our names on that list. Sadly the irish company could not handle the influx of calls or visits to the site, so the site crashed and the calls were not able to be answered. We sent an email but was not responded to till late wednesday, when we had no choice but to wait till our set departure. But we did get to do laundry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OH GOSH THIS WAS EXCITING!!! both of our bags of clothes stank and really needed washing. So we got to wash all that and no longer smelled haha. We were even able to cook a vegetable and grilled cheese dinner! it was amazing after the crap-nothings we had been eating and much needed nourishment!!

21 April, The next day we planned to go to Versailles but slept in instead and watched the lord of the rings to occupy our time. We went grocery shopping and got some food for our lunches and for our journey back.

22 April, we actually made it to Versailles. It was interesting getting there, we went by metro then by train costing only €3!! AWESOME!! and then we got in for free with our ID card- haha!! But we decided that we would rather spend more time walking the grounds than on the inside. The grounds were amazing! The last time I was there, I really wished we had gotten to see more of the grounds but i made up for it this time. We walked around for about 3 hours, still not even seeing all of it. Sadly the flowers were not in bloom so it was not as pretty as the last time but it was still massively impressive!!! We ventured back so that we could have a nice dinner out with kat. We decided to take her out as a thank you and let her pic the place. She chose a very french place and we even got dessert!! What a treat!!

23 April, the day FINALLY arrived when we were to head back. After thanking and hugging kat we were on our way. We got on a train around 10am and made our way to the coast. Once there we had to queue up for customs at around 8pm and we set off at 10pm by ferry for ireland!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! funny thing this ferry was VERY irish!! haha the pub was in the center of the boat and the biggest section. Even the lounge/sleeping areas weren't separated by an actual wall so wherever you were on the non-cabin floors, other than outside, the pub was the main focus and main annoyance. Also irish people like to sing ballads loudly when drunk so a lot of the passengers were roaring away and causing the ones wanting to sleep great pain. I had to use both of my earplugs to even null the sound and even then i wasn't able to sleep till 3 am (2 irish time- the closing time for all pubs in ireland, if you didnt know) when the pub finally closed down and people headed to bed.

24 April, We slept till around 8 when the restaurant opened for breakfast- i had frosted flakes for the first time since being in the states! it was amazing and definitely note worthy, obviously haha 😊 we finally got to rosslare, ireland around 1pm- got a boat stamp in my passport hehe exciting! especially since i didnt receive a single stamp while on the train, they didnt even check!! i was a little upset but whateves ill get over it! We had to wait around for the bus to take us to waterford and then back down to cork but we were just happy to be back! We finally made it to cork around half 6 and i instantly hugged my computer!! I missed it so! haha and went to the market and made dinner. Finally able to take a shower in my own shower and sleep in my own bed!!! It is SO amazing to be back!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm not leaving Ireland again until I have to! oh that reminds me they canceled my flight for london, so i was able to get the reimbursement for that as well as the ticket from italy to cork. Lara, who i was supposed to go to london with, actually made it there from a ferry on thursday, she was stuck in italy with a school group and they passed through london. Happy story, her dad was actually able to fly out i think today and meet her there!!! yay for one happy ending!

So all is well now and things are starting to get back to normal. I have lists upon lists that i made while trapped in paris of things to do now that i am back! (also made one for when im back in cali :D) not too terrible but they are extensive and that is probably what i will be going through for the rest of the week and into next. As for today, I went to church this morning and was able to see a bunch of my friends who i have dearly missed! Then I came back watched a movie, talked to my mom on skype and wrote this! Well i think that is finally it-- if you made it thus far, I thank you for caring about my travels, I hope I did them justice. About half way through our paris second trip, i got a pad of paper and started recording what had happened so I wouldn't forget it all.

Thank you again for your prayers, it meant a lot to know that some people were praying for us during a time when we were too spent to pray ourselves! -- Kasey said during this trip that she was told before coming abroad that her relationship with God would change while here. I dont know about her, but for me this little adventure in particular, showed me that although he may not answer right away or in the way we want, he is there and a constant friend at my side. Especially towards the end of the week, in times he felt like the only friend I had, I now understand what it means by the saying that he will walk along side you when no one else will. I have never had the instance where i felt completely alone before, due to my amazing support system of family and friends but over the last week and a few times while abroad I have come to know what that felt like. He has pulled me through and made me stronger. Yes, I know I would have survived without him but why would I want that hell? who would choose that? certainly not I.

I hope in the very least that this blog provides comfort to those of you who worried about Kasey and I; we are safe and well! Soon to return to the states, as I was informed today by my mother, in 1 month and 15 days- really can't believe its almost over!

i love you all so much and thanks again!


Additional photos below
Photos: 205, Displayed: 43


Advertisement



26th April 2010

Safe in Cork
It was such a relief to get your Blog telling us you were safely in Cork and then today to read about your journey. Jesus was walking alongside of you and you and Kasey were making smart decisions. The boat will be ready for a trip to the lake. It is great knowing you are safe and getting back to normal. Love, Pa

Tot: 0.347s; Tpl: 0.026s; cc: 10; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0656s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb