Day out sightseeing in Dole


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Franche-Comté » Dole
September 4th 2016
Published: September 4th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Kisbee the scooter was very excited to be taken out of the garage this morning with the promise of a ride into Dole. We could have walked, only 20 minutes or so, but Kisbee was raring to go.

Kisbee had to make 2 trips into Dole today. First trip was very wobbly as we discovered that the back tyre was flat. Bob abandoned me in the middle of the town and returned to the campsite where he inflated the tyre. I had a wander round for a while and he was back within 15 minutes. Unfortunately my wander was 25 minutes leaving Bob wondering where I was for a little while !

A really lovely town and visually extremely pleasing. Happy camera day and that shutter button went click click click.

The medieval part of the town rises from the river on a limestone outcrop but the river has been split off into some canals which are in places incredibly picturesque. This especially in the area where the tanneries front onto the water and a lovely walkway has been created with some superb floral displays and the medieval buildings rising up rather magnificently from the water.

We discovered an underground passageway via the canal which was rather fun to use.

There is a designated walk round the town following little signs set into the ground marked as Le Chat Perché after a book by Marcel Aymé who lived here. Louis Pasteur’s birthplace is here also, in one of the tannery houses.

We had a lovely wander round the streets. I took plenty of photos as there were so many appealing things to see.

Lunch was galette, always a pleasure to have the first of the trip, then we continued on our way through the narrow streets, back to the collegiate church with some rather superb stained glass windows.

Back on Kisbee, tyre still inflated, we returned to the campsite nicely timed to avoid the rain which had been promised but arrived earlier than invited. I only just had time to swim up and down the pool 20 times before it started properly.

This campsite is almost full again and having had a stroll round I've discovered that it is quite a large site. A lot of motorhomes and caravans went this morning but their pitches were soon filled again and there are few vacant spots. Think it is so busy because it is on a very busy route south to both Italy and France.

Now on Plan E.

Have decided not to do the over long drive required to get to Tuscany which would mean we have to drive every other day, instead, after some route planning this evening we will head directly to the south coast of France after Annecy, without going via Italy and make our way round to the Bay of Roses in Spain for a few days.

Dinner tonight was Salmon parcels, an easy option as came ready prepared from Tesco.


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0306s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb