What a super drive to Dole today. So scenic the camera almost exploded with delight.


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Franche-Comté » Dole
September 3rd 2016
Published: September 4th 2016
Edit Blog Post

A more leisurely start today as nothing like as far to go and Bob had chosen a scenic route starting south east then pretty well due south.

An absolute pleasure of a drive and a good thing we only had 220km to drive as we had to keep stopping to admire the sights. Sights which we would never see if we took the motorway. The back roads of France are the way to go and the reason we enjoy driving round this so varied countryside. At one point Bob commented we hadn’t passed another car for 15 minutes so quiet were most of the roads.

Apart from the endless but colourful fields, some very pretty stretches of forest, all with verges neatly trimmed, and some lovely villages along the way (which I always approach with window down and camera at the ready as we never know what will be round the next bend) there were some really special stopping spots today.

First of all was an ancient Clairvaux Abbey at Ville sous la Ferte. We only found this because we’ve been rather plagued by road closures and today’s diversion brought us to this really lovely Abbey. This is a ruined Cistercian Monstery but is also a prison today so there is a high wall all round

Next stop, camera clicking away, was a little hamlet La Ferte sur Aube where we found a floral decorated wash house over a stream alongside a little chateau.

Lunchtime stop was perfect at Grancy le Chateau Neuville – a fortified village with a gorgeous little chateau which we had to admire through closed gates.

Finally we stopped at Luz. Came round the corner into the village and found a wonderful river scene which is best described in the photos.

The real magic though was the flash of a turquoise kingfisher as it flitted to and fro between weir and sluice gate.

I almost forgot to mention the extra sighting of the day. At Pontailler-sur-Saone as we waited to cross a roundabout a wedding came round it. All on trikes. What a treat. I clicked with my camera and they all waved.

We arrived at our campsite in Dole mid afternon nicely in time for a swim in the little pool and a little bit of sun worshipping as we have been in Tandy now for the best part of 3 days. Tomorrow we will get the scooter out to go up to the town as we are staying for a couple of days.

Campsite is Camping du Du Pasquier. Very good 8/10. Has a pool, small but beautifully formed, good sanitaires and is 15 minute walk to town. By 8pm it was pretty full but caravans were still arriving. Only one problem free wifi can’t cope wth number of users and keeps dropping out

Dinner outside as even warmer today so ate wearing swimsuit. Chicken leek and mushroom mascarpone pasta. Always a great motorhome meal.






Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 35; dbt: 0.0495s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb