Bretagne and Normandie!


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Brittany » Saint-Malo
September 30th 2011
Published: October 23rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Weekend Map!

Going from St Malo to Paris on Sunday took about 6 hours!!

Hey everyone! My apologies for being almost a MONTH late!! I'm really going to try to be more punctual about this 😊 On verra...we'll see!

One month ago...


I took a weekend trip with two other F&M students, and a BUNCH of students from the UC schools. Accent took us to Omaha beach, in Normandy, and we stayed in a beautiful little sea-side town called St Malo, in Brittany. We also saw Mont St-Michel and its abbey.
So, Saturday of this trip was easily the best day spent in France. In the morning, we took a walk around this huge wall that surrounds St Malo. It was used for defense, but now, it's mostly a spot to hangout and walk around. Mirek, our lovely student excursion planner, gave us a tour of the city. Mirek, who was born in Poland but now lives in Paris, has the BRIGHTEST smile in the world--my friend Tyler and I absolutely adore it. Anyway, after Mirek again amazed us with how much he knows about everything, we got on a bus and headed to Dinan. Dinan is an inland town, but has a nice body of water. It was incredibly quaint, somewhere you'd maybe want to retire to. I had a fantastic lunch of cidre (sweet) and crepes (andouille and apples--don't Google andouille--and salted caramel for dessert). We got back at around 3, figuring we would be totally bored.

BUT!



Instead we decided to go swimming! On October 1st! In the English Channel! The tide was CRAZY! Twice a day, there was a pool with a 15-or-so-ft diving board, and TONS of beach, and for half the day, it was completely underwater! None of us could get over how far the tide went out. At night, I was walking on the beach and you actually can't go too far because of how fast the water comes up!

So, after swimming, we again had crepes (I had, essentially, a Philly cheese crepe) and wine. We finished the day by giving some local ice-cream-stand employees a lesson in English slang, drinking white Russians/a bird of paradise, and watching the Big Lebowski....

Overall....


It was a FANTASTIC weekend! Getting out of Paris is great--France is a beautiful country outside of the stinky city. The countryside looks shockingly similar to some parts of the US. Tomorrow morning I'm off on the TGV (high-speed train) to Nice, so hopefully the scenery will be much different. The pictures, which are also on Facebook, should better describe the Normandy weekend! Thanks everyone for being patient with me!


Additional photos below
Photos: 94, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

KATYKATY
KATY

Of course. I had to. Take that, France.
Quaint French TownQuaint French Town
Quaint French Town

I forget the name of it :)
Quaint French Town IIQuaint French Town II
Quaint French Town II

We had a lunch break here. The water (English Channel) was about the only exciting thing.
USA! USA!USA! USA!
USA! USA!

Now it's OFFICALLY US territory!


Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0471s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb