My weekend continued...


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Aquitaine » Biarritz
June 19th 2007
Published: June 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The Witches' CavesThe Witches' CavesThe Witches' Caves

Here we all are exploring the caves...
Sooo...

a little more about the witch caves we went to see:
During the Spanish Inquisition, Isabel and Ferdinand made everyone convert to Catholicism or leave Spain. Many people living in the Basque Country had a religion that was more or less a pagan religion. It revolved around the seasons, the harvest, you know stuff like that...
So to many people they could be seen as 'witches'. During the Inquisition, anyone could accuse anyone of being a witch without proof. So if you were amde at your neighbor for not keeping their yard up (or something along those lines) you could turn them in to the government.
So in the end many people were burned at the stake, or if they ran away they were burned in effigy... they would burn a doll of you to signify that you were dead to the Spanish government. Personally, being burned in effigy wouldn't really matter to me, because hey I would still be alive!

So when you entered the witches caves, there was a list of people from this city who were killed for being witches. It has their names, ages, and how they were killed. The caves were pretty awesome to see, and I could totally imagine the witches meeting down there and brewing some spell in a cauldron... and I know this really didn't happen.

So it has been really gorgeous all week, so I'm heading to the beach. I can catch up on my blogs when it rains!

¡Muchos Besos!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0232s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb