Tallinn


Advertisement
Estonia's flag
Europe » Estonia » Tallinn
March 27th 2006
Published: April 3rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Arrived in Tallinn off the boat in the early afternoon, to find the address of the hostel had moved so off we lugged our bags around the old medieval-style town of cobbled streets and red-tiled turrets. It's straight out of a story-book, and Rapunzel style towers at every corner.

Met a couple of nice girls from England (Nicole and Emily) who insisted on recounting their horror experiences with the corrupt guards of Russia who stop tourists and withold passports to elicit bribes, just to get us all psyched up for our trip there!

Thankfully the thaw was setting in, so no more slipping in the snow and ice like a drunkard! Unfortunately, as the ice thawed, the deadly icicles that were hanging off roof gutters were starting to fall to the ground, and it was extremely dangerous walking around!

As we were getting a little tired of eating ham and cheese sandwiches, we decided to splurge on medieval fare in Old Hanse Restaurant, complete with staff in medieval dress and music to set the tone. Had some wild boar stew, barley, onion jam, berries, sauerkraut, and sage&onion muffin. Washed down with cinnamon-beer, and honey-beer, it was divine!

Trying to figure out how to get to the bus station for our connection to Riga, decided to brave the local trams. We realised we had made a bit of a mistake when we ended out 3miles outside the town, by taking the tram in the wrong direction, and nobody on the bus spoke any English. Just about managed to get the opposite tram back to the station to make our Eurolines bus in time!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0223s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb