Helsinki


Advertisement
Finland's flag
Europe » Finland » Uusimaa » Helsinki
March 26th 2006
Published: March 27th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Arrived into Helsinki at 10am and walked for miles to check into Eurohostel (or EuroHospital as Thomas called it, for its remarking resemblance to an institution for the mentally unstable!) as the Silja line ferry terminal is on the wrong side of the harbour for the hostel. Bags are getting heavier by the day!

Went out to Suomenlinna, an old Fortress built on islands off Helsinki, built to be impregnable but was handed over to the Russians without a fight.

Wandered around the city (as Turku was the capital for most of hundreds of years, there aren't that many historical buildings in Helsinki) and made it out to the Olympic Stadium of 1952.

Had to leg it to the ferry terminal (the OTHER one, which was 2km away!) to make our ferry to Tallinn. Barely made it with 3 minutes to go. When we got on board, we noted that there were no seats for the passengers, so we all had to sit on the ground, under stairwells, in window sills.. it was ridiculous! Luckily it was only a 3hours journey.

On the whole, Helsinki is a very quiet place with little to do.




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Occupational HazardsOccupational Hazards
Occupational Hazards

On the list of things not to do with no clothes on, hot iron and hammers must be pretty close to the top!


Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0253s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb