Visiting the vikings


Advertisement
Denmark's flag
Europe » Denmark » Region Midtjylland » Aarhus
March 20th 2008
Published: March 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Wooo hooo!!! And so we arrived in Århus, Denmark, after a night trying to sleep at Stansted airport but being kicked out of the front of the shops that wanted to open at 3am.

It was freezing, as you can imagine, especially because someone here went to the pub the night before and forgot to finish packing and just realised she hadn't changed coats on the way to the airport. But anyways... the first Danish we met was the friendliest person ever! Or so we thought because we hadn't met the rest of them yet...

Airport completely deserted, next bus to town was 2 hours away, so the immigration officers suggested we went to the restaurant where we got wonderful healthy danish breakfast. Well, not really danish as it as the same as I used to have in Germany and what I usually have here, actually. It just tasted different (rye bread in England is pretty tasteless).

We knew it was Easter and all, but since we're used to London, we didn't really think every single shop apart from indians and 7/11s were gonna be shut and the town pretty much "ghost-ish", so let's say we didn't really have much excitement in Århus.

We had a walk around and, I think it was the first corner we turned, there was a BRAZILIAN restaurant. After seeing one in Elba though, I'd probably be shocked only by seeing one in Kazakhistan or something. And yes, it was closed.

Before that we had gone to the bus station though to get our tickets to Copenhagen and, besides te excellent customer service provided by this lovely Danish girl, we had our first "street entertainment". This crazy guy with a dog, apparently around there all the time, was singing/rhyming in Danish and everybody was looking at him and laughing, apart from us that were just looking! Then the girl serving us was kind enough to translate the beautifully poetic rhyme. I can't remember properly, but it was something like "your mother looks fine, too bad she's got her period".

From our wonder around we saw this place that I think was a music venue and had this massive screen that you could see from outside and it was like a video game. When people outside stepped on this pink mat, they would appear on the screen. Aaarrgghh can't explain!

There were some really cute buildings that looked out of fairy tales with little red bricks, white lines, bay windows and "little towers".

Soooo... 3 hours, 2 buses and a ferry ride later, we got to Valby St, Copenhagen.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0534s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb