Off in Search of Castles


Advertisement
Denmark's flag
Europe » Denmark » Region Hovedstaden » Hillerød
July 20th 2007
Published: August 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Today we ventured to the town of Hillerod to visit Frederiksborg Slot (pronounced “slut”). Before anyone gets the wrong idea, you should know that “slot” is the Danish word for castle. Talk about a real life Cinderella Castle. It was built in the early 1600s by King Christian the 4th, who was, judging by several portraits of him in the castle, a big burly man with a haircut like Prince Valiant. Everything but the chapel burned down in 1859, but was rebuilt with painstaking accuracy soon afterward with financial support from the founder of Carlsberg brewery. The pictures speak louder than words but suffice to say that this castle was incredibly impressive. From a chairlift on the top floor that helped the King to descend to lower floors, to the double set of iron doors on the vault of riches in the basement. Being royally silly, Seth and I dressed in period garb along with Makenna and took our very own regal portrait in the basement of the castle.

Looking back on the grounds of the castle, there was an incredible garden that was open to the public. We thought it would be a great place for a picnic lunch, however, it was a pretty long walk for a 5-year-old so we hopped in the car to find the parking lot for the gardens. After much driving, we could not find this mysterious parking lot. However we did find a school that was closed for the summer so we decided to take up one of their many picnic tables.

After our fine midday meal at the Kon Tiki school, we ventured back into Hillerod proper and found the Palace Garden parking lot. Again, pictures speak louder than words. Incredibly well-maintained and manicured grounds!

On our way back we stopped in Roskilde to see the Cathedral there, but sadly it was closed. We popped onto their main street to enjoy a beer on the plaza and do a spot of shopping.

Then it was off to the “Gala” Show back at Knabstrup. There was an incredible performance by the Royal Guards that involved sword-waving and chopping heads of lettuce in half. There was also a display of Shetland ponies that was adorable, along with Icelandic ponies. The royal carriages were also paraded on the grounds.

Team USA took two silver medals in single pony and pony pairs dressage. With additional well-placed members, Team USA is in first place overall.

After leaving Knabstrup we went to a Thai restaurant right on the water. Spicy chicken and vegetables and a sunset at 10 PM were a great combination to end the day.

Tomorrow is the marathon—we’re up early to start filming, and praying!!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Plaster Wall ReliefPlaster Wall Relief
Plaster Wall Relief

The antlers are real.
A lovely chandelier...A lovely chandelier...
A lovely chandelier...

But probably wouldn't work in our dining room.
Royal Family?Royal Family?
Royal Family?

We got to dress in period clothing in the basement of the castle. This was Makenna's favorite part of the day.


Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0576s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb