Sailing


Advertisement
Denmark's flag
Europe » Denmark » Region Hovedstaden » Copenhagen
July 17th 2006
Published: July 17th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Ever since we left the port in Tynemouth the sea has been Mediterrranian blue and as calm as a mill pond so our crossing over the North Sea was perfect. At five this morning I decided to go up on deck in my pyjamas and see what was going on. Hardly anyone was about and our ship was creeping along the sound which leads to Copenhagen and the earlymorning sun was shining on Elsinor, which was Hamlet's castle. A lady appeared in her nighty and dressing gown looking very embarrased until I pointed out that I too was in my nightclothes. By eight o'clock George and I had eaten breakfast and we were walking down the gangplank to go and explore Copenhagen in the limited available time. Judging by the talking to we all got from the Captain we reconed he would not be waiting for anyone at four o'clock if we were late! So it was a whistle stop tour of the city on foot taking in the little Mermaid and a fantastic round tower built in 1642 with a ramp for horses all the way up to the top. Great view of the old city from there. And we saw the old Arsenal where they have a massive collection of old cannons, many of which were huge and beautifully decorated - seems odd when one considers their intended use!

Life on board is hilarious. Last night was formal night and all the Scots appeared in full highland dress and the ladies in ballroom dresses. Gents from south of the border were in black tie and the ladies were fully sequinned out. There is a Broadway showroom where you can have dancing girls and boys in lycra and lace or there is a cinema, a spa, a gym etc etc. And there is so much food that the chances of staying the same size between now and the end of the holiday are zero. In theory, if your stomach can stand it it would be possible to visit all the restauants each evening and have another meal in all of them , all in for the price of the holiday. No one is checking!

Beginning to settle in and enjoy it now - got a bit claustrophobic on the first day at sea but can see the pattern of the days now and its ok - my jury out about whether I would recommend it to anyone else. Hmm, we'll see! As usual, there are people I recognise from Barnard Castle here including two neighbours of my friend Chris!


Advertisement



17th July 2006

Open Seas
Cruising sounds quite bearable. And being out on the open seas certainly beats central London at current temperatures!

Tot: 0.299s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.079s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb