Castles and Copenhagen.


Advertisement
Denmark's flag
Europe » Denmark » Region Hovedstaden » Copenhagen
August 11th 2023
Published: August 11th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Sunny start today. Got a call from the kids this morning. Pippa had news to tell us about her athletics. Very proud grandparents and happy grand daughter.

Then had a birthday chat with Maggots (my sister to the uninitiated). Good to catch up with all the Melbourne news.

Got the car from its car park and loaded up for our trip to Copenhagen via Helsingor (thanks Neil for the tip) and then back through Rungsted (thanks Soren).

Found Helsingor and the Kronburg palace. Now this is a real ye olde palace. It even still has its own moat. Fascinating history and some amazing rooms in the palace. Evidently Hamlet was written about this place. We got to the main hall and there was a dude doing Hamlet verses and acts. Great effort considering most people backed away and wanted nothing to do with him. I thought he was fantastic and commented a little bit to him.

Finished here and wandered around the rest of the outside of the palace grounds and the beach. Lots of people fishing off the rocks. Didn’t see any fish though.

There is a ferry service between Helsiborg and Sweden - very narrow stretch of water. The ferries left very regularly and crossed in the middle of the strait.

Got back to the car and our next call was to Rungsted. One of my mates, Soren grew up in this area. A beautiful drive along the coastline to get there. Some magnificent houses that were like some north Sydney houses that fall off cliffs to the road. Very pretty and I guess very expensive.

Did Rungsted, another pretty town with some really nice houses and a huge Barbour and marina. Then into Copenhagen. Traffic a bit more chaotic here but luckily Google maps made it much easier. Found the hotel with only one missed turn. Should listen and trust our voice more clearly.

Into the room and then to drop the car off. First need to fill up with fuel. Google said to go to a fuel place nearby. Ok. Get there and lo and behold, the Avis depot is right next door. Winner.

Petrol in, go to park car. Ultra busy with lots of Avis cars everywhere. Can’t park there so go around and find a legal park. Into the office. At least 4 groups of people lined up. Counter guy asks who is dropping off a car. 4 sets of hands go up. Ok, go out to your cars and he will come with his magic machine and process each car.

Well done. In no time the car is checked in. Clean bill of health and away I go back to the hotel. Don’t get lost and up to the room.

Get a bit organized then to eat. Ask the desk person for a good pizza place. Offers one in the meat packing area. Trendy new place to eat. Some interesting dudes hanging about as we walk through the alleys - read homeless and junkies…..

Eventually find the pizza place (Mothers). They have a pizza oven outside. We had an outside table but changed to inside - getting a bit cooler now. Pizzas just ok. Very sloppy if that is a word for pizza. Wine was good.

Now to rest our weary heads and bodies. Tomorrow we venture around the capital of Denmark. Who knows what will greet us.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.353s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 53; dbt: 0.1038s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb