Wonderful Wonderful Copenhagen


Advertisement
Denmark's flag
Europe » Denmark » Region Hovedstaden » Copenhagen
July 20th 2018
Published: July 20th 2018
Edit Blog Post

18th July



Copenhagen



Wonderful, Wonderful Copenhagen, approached on another beautiful sunny summers day.



As usual with late morning arrivals the buses are full and queues are the order of the day.



As we berthed only a 20 minute stroll into the centre it was the way to see some of this easy going bonhomie of this ‘wonderful’ city.



Copenhagen was the adopted home of Hans Christian Anderson, commemorated by the statue of the Little Mermaid, a bronze statue dated 1913 by a Danish artist Edvard Eriksen.

It is the most photographed lady in Copenhagen, situated on the Langeline Promenade only 200 metres from where we were berthed, chances of us getting a photo were slim on our way out as the world and his dog (well tourists, mainly Japanese) were crawling (literally) all over her.



Hans Christian Anderson would have been turning in his grave.



It was a long walk to the Tivoli Gardens but we kept away from the main shopping precincts.

We passed the Gefion fountains which is by St Albans church and the Citadel, walking down to the Amalienborg Palace.

The palace is the residence of the Danish Royal family where there is four rococo palaces that surround Amalienborg Square.

The Royal Life Guards stand stand watch in bearskin hats.



You can see the Marble Church from the square which we passed closer to when we retraced our steps.

There is a lot of reconstruction going on in the centre particularly around the railway station and Kongens Nytorv so we managed to say away from the Stroget (the Strollers Street) a mile long pedestrianised shopping mall.



We found a quaint coffee shop and an even better bakery for our afternoon pastries before heading towards the Tivoli gardens.



Not our cup of tea, whilst the gardens are ablaze with flowers it is also an amusement park and with that it is one of the main attractions for tourists (especially ones with children!!!)



So back towards the ship but not before finding the oldest cheese shop in Copenhagen.

Down from steep steps into a cool cellar room the Ostekaeldren was a foodies delight, if you liked cheese that is!!!

Soren Kirkegaard gave a few tasty tidbits before we purchased some to bring home (it would be rude not to!!).

And he vacuum packed it for us as well.





Back up via the Kings Garden and through the Amalienborg Square brought us back to the inner harbour where found a quiet garden to eat lunch.





Heading back we at last got a better glimpse of the Little Mermaid, there was a lull in coaches.





All in all a lovely visit to this city which thoroughly deserves its wonderful wonderful epithet.


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



20th July 2018

Similar walk
Hi. We also enjoyed the long walk to Tivoli Gardens. Lots of fascinating buildings to see. also the picture of the mermaid.

Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0308s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb