Oslo - Museums, Museums and more Museums!!


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway » Eastern Norway » Oslo
July 20th 2018
Published: July 20th 2018
Edit Blog Post

19th July



Oslo



This was a late (but scheduled) arrival for us, berthing at 11 am.



But another spectacular cruise for some 60 miles sailing up Oslofjord docking in the heart of Oslo.



Any closer and the ship would be berthing in the main reception area of the Radhuset City Hall, a very austere looking building overlooking the port of Oslo.



One of the main attractions of Oslo is its museums, and oh boy do they love their museums and galleries.



Our daily programme lists 24 museums and galleries and that doesn’t include Sculpture parks, churches and Cathedrals.

The museums range from the Resistance Museum to more seafaring based ones which include the National Maritime, the Kon Tiki, and the Fram Museums.

The Fram was the vessel that Amundsen and Nansen made their Arctic and Antarctic voyages and Kon Tiki was the raft which crossed the South Pacific in 1947, also housed here is Ra II built and sailed across the Atlantic by Thor Heyerdahl in 1970.



The Royal Palace sits above the main part of the city and has lovely gardens and lakes to sit by.

A sign on the map of the park reads ‘Walk on the grass, and Hug a tree’ emphasising Norways green policy.

The statue in front of the palace is King Karl Johan who accepted the throne of Norway and Sweden in 1818.





We berthed next door to the Akershus, a fortress which has withstood sieges from both Danes and Swedes and is also next door to the Resistance Museum.





To round of our visit to Oslo we found a small restaurant away from the madding crowds to enjoy some traditional Norwegian fare, a Smobrod, an open sandwich and Crepes filled with Salmon and Avocado.

Should have been washed down with a glass of lager but we had chosen an unlicensed eating house.

Nevertheless the food was worth it.





This is our final port of call on this cruise so we have two sea days back to Southampton on Arcadia arriving on Sunday.





But guess what we are staying on board, same ship same cabin and heading off down to the Mediterranean.

Our itinerary includes Oporto, Almeria, Civitavecchia, Cagliari, Salerno, Calvi and Gibraltar





So watch this space





Cheers Al & Lin


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0438s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb