Day 21 - Copenhagen


Advertisement
Denmark's flag
Europe » Denmark » Region Hovedstaden » Copenhagen
December 21st 2017
Published: January 2nd 2018
Edit Blog Post

This morning we set out on the 1 day packed itinerary on our App.

First up is a canal boat tour. The boat only just squeezes through and under the bridges. In fact we can't go under one bridge because the tide is too high. The tour guide is quite humorous (not as good as me but close). Even though the boat is about 50% Asian he has some beauties. Apparently the Government of China and the Danish government agreed that given the Chinese like the Little Mermaid statue so much they should have it in China for a while......but then they worked out that half the population of China was in Copenhagen anyway so they sent it back!! Boom boom.

Copenhagen is beautiful with all the buildings about 4 stories high. After the canal tour we head off to the Royal Palace. It has been re-built a number of times and seems to have inexplicably burnt down a number of times. The best bit was the souvenir shop. What a selection of quality memorabilia. I was torn between the Princess Mary fridge magnet, Christmas decoration, mug or bottle opener. Unfortunately I'm not a big fan of bottle openers that don't talk or make funny noises (like my Family Guy one or my Homer Simpson fart one). Becs bought the Christmas decoration and I got the mug for Red. Didn't get the fridge magnet because we have a stainless steel fridge.

We then walked across to Paper Island for lunch which is a big inside market with all types of different food stalls. Normally I like to buy food from countries either with a history of colonial repression of the particular country of the cuisine (eg France/Morocco or Vietnam, Netherlands/Indonesia, Spain/Anything South American, Australia/Timor). In this instance for some bizarre reason I chose Churrasco. It was actually pretty good!!

Things do get a bit dark early so by the time we had walked back to the centre it was dark so we wandered through the shopping district. This was a gazillion times better than Madrid with lights, Christmas decorations, markets and everyman and his dog walking the streets. For dinner we had booked a less upmarket restaurant called Pluto. It was heaving and a lot of fun. Tomorrow we fly to Helsinki (Flight 6/15).


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0591s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb