Day 4: Prague Castle overlooking the city below


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague
September 29th 2016
Published: July 1st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 50.0878, 14.4205

Woke up today and made a change of plans -- nice to be spontaneous while traveling!

We'd originally planned an all-day excursion (three hours on the bus each way) to Český Krumlov, an historic city in southern Bohemia, but decided to keep exploring Prague and spare ourselves a long day of travel to see a grand castle.

So, out just a couple of inexpensive pre-purchased bus tickets, we caught the tram up the hill above Prague to explore the historic and sprawling Prague Castle, St. Vitus Cathedral -- the Czech Republic's largest church -- within the castle walls, and many other interesting castle sites.

Before catching the tram, we made a brief visit to the Church of St. Nicholas, a Jesuit church whose belfry we climbed last evening. We took the tram to the top of the ridge above the castle to first take in Strahov Monastery, its beautiful libraries, and its fantastic views of the city of Prague and the Vltava River below. It also helped us avoid some of the morning tourist foot traffic and crowds at the castle.

We arrived at the castle with perfect timing to catch the changing of the guard, then hustled in to buy our tickets and get started. But, with pinpoint Costco-type accuracy, we chose the wrong (aka, longest, slowest) line. Patience is an important virtue while vacationing in countries abroad.

Once inside, we took in the Royal Palace, the stunning and immense St. Vitus Cathedral, St. George's Basilica from the 12th Century, the Royal Gardens, and Golden Lane just inside the castle wall, which had been a mini village of service providers, knights who guarded and fortified the castle wall, and a taproom (of course).

The soaring spires and flying buttresses of the cathedral were reminiscent of Notre Dame in Paris, but it also included stunning stained glass windows and the historic Wenceslas Chapel, where St. Wenceslas, the patron saint of the Czech nation, is entombed.

The castle visit made for a lot of walking, hiking, and climbing -- did not need spin class today. To top the day, we stopped by Starbucks -- first one we've seen here -- for a frappaccino, then strolled over to the Church of Our Lady Victorious, where the religiously significant Infant of Prague is enshrined.

Found a great Czech restaurant over in the Little Quarter Square nearby for a comfort food dinner of farm fresh roast duck for me and zander (a locally caught white fish -- very tasty!) for Sharon. Finished the evening with a wonderful stroll over the Charles Bridge.

Tomorrow, we pack up, spend a few more hours in Prague, then head to Budapest, Hungary for the next stage of this Eastern Europe adventure.

Dobrou noc (dobrow nots), good night!

Mike and Sharon / Dad and Mom

 


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Tot: 0.243s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0363s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb