FREE REFILLS!


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague
August 1st 2006
Published: August 2nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

this is actually from yesterday, but oh wellthis is actually from yesterday, but oh wellthis is actually from yesterday, but oh well

rachel and me in front of a giant kofola ad!
we were a little nervous about today because we realized on our schedule that we had 3 lectures plus a visit to the musuem of communism (we just thought it sounded like a lot!) but everything about today ended up being really enjoyable.

after breakfast (they now have peach juiceboxes! yummy!!) and got ready, we were off to class. it was a marketa lecture today (yay!! we love her and think she should come be a professor at mizzou)- she talked with us a little bit about czech foreign policy, especially about joining the EU.

our next lecture was actually this guy who had come to speak in our other class, so we were a little annoyed at first. but actually, his presentation this time was more interesting-- apparently he was able to be more frank with us without ladislav there. (since he's an older guy who might be sensitive about certain issues when speaking about czech republic's past.) the guest speaker was eric best, who produces a special daily newletter about the czech republic for business people all around the world. he's an american and has lived here for 15 years or so-- he speaks fluent czech which
i love, love, love this posteri love, love, love this posteri love, love, love this poster

oh scary russian doll...
i think is awesome- slavic languages are crazy hard! anyway- he talked with us for a little bit about the media in the czech republic, and why it is the way it is in comparison to other countries.

we were feeling pretty good about that lecture, but our next one ended up being even better- and it was kind of on the same topic of the media in the CR. a lecturer from the university talked with us about specific czech media outlets, and basically expounded more upon what eric best had said. it was interesting to learn about how they don't have very many localized publiciations or broadcast stations- essentially most are nationalized.

from there it was off to the museum of communism. it was pretty good-- not as amazing as i had been hoping for, but still good. it was a pretty tight space (and very crowded) with a lot of panels to read. interesting because it made things we have been talking about in class clearer- and fun to see pictures or objects from this time period. they also had this video showing footage of a few of the demonstrations that took place during 1989.
me being happy at buffalo bill'sme being happy at buffalo bill'sme being happy at buffalo bill's

happy refills with ice, and tex mex!
it was really sad watching the police beat the peaceful demonstrators-- in class we've been learning about the dissenters and their "leader" from that time period, vaclav havel. marketa and malvina have even made copies for us of some of havel's writing- it's very interesting. i think we're all really enjoying soaking up this history- it's kind of weird to realize we don't know really anything at all about what these eastern central european countries went through during the cold war. it's so great to have this opportunity to really expand outlook on this period of history.

it was around 4:30 by the time we finished up at the museum, so of course by this time it was "N.A.P.T.I.M.E." (katie's words, not mine). we have this time every day- where we head back to the dorm and everyone sleeps and i start my blog. well i sleep for a little bit, and katie sleeps for like 3 hours. well, that's only when our suitemates come back completely trashed and keep us awake until 2:30 in the morning. which sometimes happens...a lot. whatevs- as long as we get our N.A.P.

after naps, it is usually around 8:00 or 9, and then we head out for dinner. we have been looking in guide books, etc., for good places to eat- and tonight we wanted to try...tex mex. yes. we had tex mex. in europe. how amazing is that? pretty amazing.

we went to "buffalo bill's" and it was incredible. (see pictures) katie, rachel and i split these amazing nachos plus i had gazpacho. but the most amazing thing of all....on their menu they list "soda" for about 2 dollars, but then directly under that they list...

soda...with FREE REFILLS...and ICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHH!!!

it actually says "AHHH!" on the menu. it was about 3 or 4 dollars, but we just did not care. we got our pepsi with refills and ice. and it was wonderful.

the food was great, and now i'm full. hooray for a more full day- and hooray for day trip to kutna hora tomorrow!!!

Advertisement



2nd August 2006

wow!
what a fact/fun filled day you guys had! i thought looking for tex mex in missouri was crazy- in prague!? sounds like this 2nd class has been truly amazing! you truly can appreciate how easy we have it over here now,right?! hope to talk to you tomorrow- have another great day! <3 mom
3rd August 2006

ahhhh
Yea for ice! It sounds like you're having the time of your life and learning at the same time. Who could ask for more? On top of that, I just love your more recent pictures. You're standing up straight, tall and proud..not leaning in!! (doesn't your Mom ever tell you to stand up straight? LOL) Seriously, it is wonderful enjoying your trip with you. IM when you can!! xoxoxoxo

Tot: 0.039s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0216s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb