kutna hora!


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague
August 2nd 2006
Published: August 2nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

view of kutna horaview of kutna horaview of kutna hora

and a cute picture of all 5 of us!!
today instead of having lectures, malvina and marketa decided to take us a typical bohemian town in the czech republic, kutna hora. it's a small town, but quite adorable and very historic. the architechture spans various time periods (baroque, gothic, etc.)- and it actually originally was founded as a silver mining town.

we had about a one hour bus ride, and got there at around noon. so we walked around for a little bit just checking out the town- and then we were hungry around 1:30 so we went for lunch. marketa made the mistake of mentioning a mexican restaurant- so of course we went there for lunch lol. it was a very interesting experience- we referred to our food as "czech-mex"--like, dionne and i shared veggie fajitas-- which looked like stew veggies in a pan. it was pretty good though-- katie ordered cheese nachos...and they had brie melted on them...yeah kind of strange. i did have another mojito though! which was yay.

so after lunch we went to the st. barbara's cathedral. this was began in 1388, and finally finished after 500 years of building! crazy...and at one point in time, it was worked on by the son of the master builder (not to be confused with master baker, mom lol) who completed the st. vitus cathedral! kind of interesting- not as beautiful as st. vitus, but nice.

since we hadn't finished lunch until about 3 and the last train left at 5 (yeah... i kind of wish we had had a little more time so that we could have visited the mining museum) we went to this "bone chapel" that is supposed to be awesome. in my opinion it was a little creepy...but we went anyway lol. it was interesting, at least- i'm sure i will never see anything like it ever again. it is decorated entirely in bones (see a pic) and contains over 40,000 people. yeah. a little strange.

i was a little disappointed we didn't have time for the mining museum, but it was a fun trip- mainly because we just got to all relax and hang out together. it's nice traveling with people who speak the language, and they are incredibly adorable and we love them! they're so silly- always apologizing for their "bad" english- which of course is almost perfect.

so we took the train back, and then when
an AWESOME picture of katie and mean AWESOME picture of katie and mean AWESOME picture of katie and me

dionne took this awesomeness
we were at the train station my friends bought train tickets for a day trip to dresdon- it was a little sad not being able to buy one too, but i know they are going to have an awesome time and i'm so happy they'll get to take one last little trip before they leave on tuesday.

we're staying in tonight- because i think the girls want to take me to a club tomorrow night, and then out for a nice dinner on friday night. i can't believe it's almost time to leave! this experience has just been absolutely amazing-- one or two more posts, and then i'll be back in the states!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

the weirdness of the bone chapelthe weirdness of the bone chapel
the weirdness of the bone chapel

yeah...this chandelier boasts having every single type of bone found in the human body


2nd August 2006

bones
We saw a chapel somewhere in Europe once with skulls covering the walls, but it wasn't quite as eerie as the chapel you saw. (almost, but not quite)
2nd August 2006

oooh...that bone chapel is creepi, for sure! guess who i get to see tonight? froebel!! be jealous :) and ill be jealous of you in europe, of course!
3rd August 2006

cute photo!
I like that picture of you and Katie! I have enjoyed reading all about your adventures in Prague. I am excited to see you soon! And happy birthday in oh, five days!!

Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0409s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb