Lunch beside the Devil's Canal


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague
April 16th 2005
Published: April 21st 2005
Edit Blog Post

Water wheel on the Devil's CanalWater wheel on the Devil's CanalWater wheel on the Devil's Canal

This shot is from the pedestrian bridge looking down the Devil's Canal toward the west end of the Charles Bridge.
We left Vojan Park and walked past the western end of the Charles Bridge and then through the neighborhood beside Certovka, the Devil’s Canal. Legend has it that the name dates back to Medieval days when a very ill tempered woman lived by this small off-shoot of the Vltava river. The Devil’s Canal is the western boundary of Kampa Island. In times past it was used as a mill race and at least one old water wheel is still there.

We crossed one of the walkers bridges onto Kampa Island. This is where the Prague marathon ended two weeks ago. Walking for several hours brings on hunger and by this time we were looking for a restaurant. There is no shortage of restaurants. Rather it was simply a matter of deciding at which one to stop and eat. This is the high rent district with lots of tourists. We had no desire to eat at one of the expensive restaurants and it was simply too nice a day to eat inside. Finally we went into a small Italian restaurant with tables set up in a small courtyard. The restaurant is right beside the Devil’s Canal . We selected a table
The water wheel from the restaurant court yard.The water wheel from the restaurant court yard.The water wheel from the restaurant court yard.

Nancy is sitting at the table where we ate. It was a very pleasant day.
in the courtyard directly across the canal from an ancient, often photographed, wooden waterwheel. It was very pleasant sitting beside the canal, listening to the birds sing and enjoying the warm weather. [If you go and order the rissoto with fruits of the sea, you will have a meal that is basically too much to finish (but I managed). It had shrimp and squid and crab and all sorts of tiny tasty sea food. The flavor was very mild. So I suggest you have whoever is with you to order something spicy and mix a little in which is what I did with Bill's spicy meal. That gave it the zip the dish needed to suit my palate. The seclusion was almost total since the cafe had nice walls painted with flowers that kept out all the noise on two sides, an inside area for cool weather and the canal on the fourth. It was quiet and peaceful and altogether a most lovely spot.





Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

The Italian restaurant where we had lunch.The Italian restaurant where we had lunch.
The Italian restaurant where we had lunch.

We sat directly across the Devil's Canal from the water wheel.
The Devils CanalThe Devils Canal
The Devils Canal

The Devil's Canal with the waterwheel. Taken from the Charles Bridge.
The Devil's CanalThe Devil's Canal
The Devil's Canal

A wide angle shot from the Charles Bridge.
The Devil's CanalThe Devil's Canal
The Devil's Canal

Looking down the canal from the Charles Bridge.


Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0511s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb