Pig Roast at Cerveny Ujezd


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague
May 23rd 2006
Published: June 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Cerveny Ujezd is located about fifteen to twenty miles west of Prague and is surrounded by rolling hills of farmland. Oil rapeseed is in full-bloom this time of year making the countryside a patchwork of bright yellow and green. The green is growing wheat and the yellow is the flowering rapeseed. If rapeseed is not the brightest yellow blossom in nature I am not sure what is brighter. The bright yellow of flowering rape and fields of green wheat growing always make me think of Brazil and the Brazilian flag. I would think any Brazilian traveling through the Czech Republic this time of year would be delighted.

Cerveny Ujezd advertises itself as a castle. On their web site they use the terms Hrad Ceveny Ujezd. Hrad is Czech for castle. The layout is like a castle. The building completely surronds a courtyard, but the building is not built of stone. When I think castle I think stone. But perhaps that is a picky detail.

Last year and this the seminary has reserved Cerveny Ujezd for an evening. The main event of the evening is the pig roast on which everyone pigs out. The meal is not restricted just to roasted pig. There is soup in bread bowls, grilled chicken, beef and pork. A table is completely filled with a wide variety of desserts, sausages and salads. Then there is the choice of drinks, orange juice, mineral water, coffee and beer. It would not be a real meal in the Czech Republic without beer being available.

The castle is surrounded by beautiful gardens and a variety of out buildings, i.e. windmills, smoke houses, graineries are examples. One pen held three goats, one a baby. Flower gardens surround the building with the largest in the back.


Before the meal begins we were split into two groups for a tour of the castle. The first group comprised Czech and other Slovak language speakers. The second group was for those who understood English. The place is filled with antiques. Larry mused as to whether the owner bought the antiques to fill the castle or built the castle to house his antiques. Your guess is as good as mine.




Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Reflections of the Big HouseReflections of the Big House
Reflections of the Big House

This would make a nice puzzle.
The Storm Is ComingThe Storm Is Coming
The Storm Is Coming

The storm followed us to Prague and rain began falling just as we entered our apartment building.


Tot: 0.359s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 19; qc: 164; dbt: 0.1215s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb