Prague- stay away from the Grog!


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague
April 12th 2006
Published: May 10th 2006
Edit Blog Post

arriving in the czech republic, for us at least, is the same as arriving anywhere else in that it rained heavily. everytime we get somewhere on the first day it rains. i guess crowded house were right and everywhere you go you do take the weather with you! but why does always have to be british weather? so we stay in the hostel (Travellers Hostel) play a lot of table football and drink pints for 50 pence. that takes the first night out of our hands.
the second day we go to Kutna Hora, a small village just outside Prague to see the Sedlec Kostinice, a church which is decorated on the inside with bones from 40,000 human skeletons. despite being a little weird and making us feel at times like Indiana Jones its cool, really fascinating. the reason we are told for why its decorated in this way is that the original graveyard was so small that they ran out of space in the first 100 years of its existence and so they dug up all the bodies to make space for the more recent dead.
Following the church we went for some traditional Czech food, which was good, and some Grog, which was not so good. its basically a drink made from strong rum, hot water and lemons. and it was nasty yet strong enough for both of us to fall asleep on the bus back to Prague! later in the evening we go on a ghost walk of Prague which was nearly as bad as the grog, consisting of four stories which the guide herself readily admitted were probably not true. Prague is beautiful at night though, with the two castles in the middle of the old town square partially lit up providing possibly the best view of Prague, day or night.
the next day we do a walking tour around which was cheap, informative and- best of all- run by an arsenal fan! the tour took us around everything, Wenceleslas Square, the jewish quarter, the cathedrals and the chief Castle on the hill and the Charles Bridge. In the evening we met back up with some other people from the walking tour and had a few drinks whilst watching Arsenal vs Portsmouth which ended in a 1-1 draw. bit disappointing but never mind. joel and i have a very early bus to catch for Bratislava in the morning so we resolve early on that we will have a couple of beers but get to bed relatively early.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Bone ChandelierBone Chandelier
Bone Chandelier

who lives in a house like this?
More BonesMore Bones
More Bones

(they look like Daleks!)


10th May 2006

Uptodate info
How come your accounts are always several days behind Joels? is it an indication of you not knowing where you are or too much Grog! Love you mumx

Tot: 0.23s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0402s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb