National Theater - Aida


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague
March 19th 2006
Published: March 23rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

One of our student friends bought standup tickets for nine of us to go to see Aida at the National Theater. Amazingly, a standup ticket costs only about $1.25, that's right $1.25. A standup ticket in Chicago is at least $50.00 and I have no idea how much a person would pay in New York.

The theater is unbelievably beautiful. Some of the paintings on the ceiling seem, to me, to carry a Biblical theme. Others do not and I could not determine or find on the Internet any information on the paintings other than that they were done by an artist named, Zenisek.

I was not sure about taking pictures inside the theater. Upon seeing others snapping photos and taking videos I also took pictures. Not long before the performance began an announcement, in Czech and English, was made stating that no pictures should be taken during the performance. It would be futile to try to stop people from taking pictures and, I feel, it is good advertisement for the theater when others see the beauty there.

-Opera expert that I am not but fan that I am, I thought the performance was quite wonderful. The musicians in the orchestra really were outstanding! and the main characters had remarkable voices! the chorus-especially the male chorus had a lovely lovely tone. The sets were magnificent. Well, it was definitely up to the same standard as the operas we attended here last year. Prague loves its opera. The audience was packed (remember we were standing) and they responded with much clapping and multiple call backs to the principals of the performance. We were delighted to see this theater since we had not attended anything in the National Opera House before.

We enjoyed the show, then we rushed down the streets-quite a long walk-to the subway station. The subway got us to the bus stop about 3 minutes before the next to final bus of the evening back to Jeneralka and home and beds. What a nice evening.



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

The Outter Stage CurtainThe Outter Stage Curtain
The Outter Stage Curtain

There are at least three curtains.
Toward the Back of the TheaterToward the Back of the Theater
Toward the Back of the Theater

Before Aida began. The second standup box is on the upper left side of the photo. Some of our friends are there.
The Royal Box?The Royal Box?
The Royal Box?

A friend from England said you can always tell the royal box because of the crown. It is always the box nearest the stage as everyone had to be able to see the king. If he stood, everyone was to stand.
Close-up of Ceiling PaintingClose-up of Ceiling Painting
Close-up of Ceiling Painting

Salome with the head of John the Baptist.


Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0557s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb