Monday, Monday


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague
February 21st 2005
Published: February 21st 2005
Edit Blog Post

Opera House PosterOpera House PosterOpera House Poster

I am not allowed to take a picture inside the State Opera House, so I took a picture of a poster showing the ornate theater.
We ate breakfast with the men who arrived Friday evening. There actually turn out to be 7 of them. Two must have slept later than we did yesterday. One is from California. Today they will start the project of raising the floor in the registration/security building eight inches. The primary reason for raising the floor is so the workers in registration will be able to see people approach the building. As it is now, when they are seated working on the computer they cannot see the area near the building. The road leading to the seminary drops away quickly from the registration building. This makes it lots of fun when it is icy and we have to walk to the bus stop.

Today we worked in the library all day, processing books. We will do the same tomorrow. In fact, tomorrow we will pretty well have the library as ours to run. Two librarians have doctors appointments and one has to take the day off to have his car repaired. Someone ran into him the other day.

We now have CNN on our TV. Larry came to our room Sunday evening and reprogrammed our TV. With our lack of Czech we could not figure out how to manipulate the programming. We have a new TV and it was really simple. Of course, lots of things that are very confusing to those who do not know how to do them are simple enough when you DO know what you are doing. We had BBC and MS-NBC-Europe. After several weeks we had seen all the BBC fillers and for us MS-NBC is perhaps the most boring channel we have ever seen. To me, Bill, MS-NBC was more boring than the watching fishing programs ... and that is boring. MS-NBC Europe is business all day, nothing but charts and people talking about “it’s going up,” or “it’s going down.” Nancy-I disagree. I saw the best USA news on MS-NBC last night. It was the first actual home news we had seen.
Other English channels we have are the Hallmark Channel, Discovery Channel, Animal Planet, the National Geographic Channel and Sports-Europe. These channels are English part time only and also use a part of the day in Czech. Other than that the other 25 or so channels are for the most part a mystery as far as what is being said. We did find a Czech channel that gave a pretty good weather forecast each morning.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0301s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb