A little history


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague
January 30th 2005
Published: January 30th 2005
Edit Blog Post

The CastleThe CastleThe Castle

This is the building called The Castle as seem from the 2nd floor of the library. This is actually the back of the building.
The International Baptist Theological Seminary (IBTS) is located in Jeneralka. Now a part of Prague, Jeneralka is almost like a small isolated village. Indeed until recently it has been considered a separate village. The word, Jeneralka, means ‘woman general’. I have read there are four theories on how the village got its name. To me the theory that makes the most sense is that here, long ago, there was ‘famous’ women’s battles here. I must admit that I am totally ignorant of this history. Perhaps with some research I can find information on these battles.

We attended the worship service this morning. Again it was an international service. An American woman led the singing and prayers, a young woman from England read the New Testament scripture, an American pastor read the Old Testament scripture and the sermon was delivered by a man from England. The congregation was comprised by people from all over Europe, North America, Asia and Africa. I find it a hopeful sign for our world that peoples’ from all over the globe can come together to worship and find satisfying fellowship with one another.

Jeneralka is on the east side of the Sarka Valley. The church we attend here at the seminary is named, The Sarka Valley Community Church. The Sarka Valley was once covered with vineyards. Now it is a national natural refuge. The refuge runs from the seminary 18 miles northward. Thus the seminary knows that they will never be surrounded by city. Except for a few houses and one large building in the distance the views from the seminary give the impression of being in the middle of a wilderness. How fortunate IBTS was to purchase this complex of buildings.

To me the saddest era here was 1939 to 1945 when the they were the headquarters of the Gestapo. I have little idea of what terrible things may have happened here during those years. In fact, it is probably best that I do not know. In 1942, after the villages of Lidice and Lezaky were destroyed by the Germans orphan children were brought here and housed in the building then and still called “the castle.” During 1942-43 a total of 48 children, whose parents has been executed, were kept here. Some of the children were adopted and others were sent other locations.
The children were replaced by prisoners from Terezin, the Nazi death camp that was located north of Prague. Their job was to construct an archive to hold the records of Terezin. It is known that commander of Terezin often visited here and that Gestapo confidants were trained here.





Advertisement



Tot: 0.552s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 19; qc: 161; dbt: 0.2516s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb