Good eating and moderate prices ... Restaurant Jeneralka


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague » Jenerálka
October 13th 2010
Published: November 3rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Restaurant JeneralkaRestaurant JeneralkaRestaurant Jeneralka

Forget the appearance, the food is great!

The seminary sits beside the Sarka Valley and though it is in the city of Prague it has a feeling of being in a small village. There are a few houses nearby, an extremely small Catholic church that marked the outer boundary of lands owned by a monastery centuries ago and two restaurants. One is known for serving very good food at very high prices. The other is known for very good food at moderate prices. Guess which one we frequent? Yes, the moderate one.

You can see from the first photo why we feel we are in a village, if not in the woods. Beyond the restaurant, in this view, there is a large hill covered by trees. It is very steep. There are houses on top, but you cannot see them from any place below. I was standing at the bus stop when I took this picture. Behind me is the bus shelter and behind that are a few houses. But even those houses are not very visible from the street.

There is one menu in English ... please, please may they never lose it. There was a time when there was no English menu.Two

Restaurant JeneralkaRestaurant JeneralkaRestaurant Jeneralka

With the hills showing in the background. Yes, it is inside the city limits. See the city bus?
of our friends at the seminary told the owner that they would get more business from English speakers at the seminary if there were an English menu.

"I agree," he said, "but no one here can translate the menu."

"Give me a menu," our friends
said. "We will translate it for you."

They were given a menu and the translation took place ... and they were right. The restaurant serves quite a few people from the seminary. Not only are there a fair number of people at the seminary who speak and read English as their first or second language, but also there are many visitors, lecturers and professors who come for short stays from the UK and the USA.

The first year we were here, 2005, the restaurant was under different management. At that time students were told they were not to frequent the restaurant. Nancy and I did not know why until a new friend who was on sabbatical told us of his experience. He had eaten lunch there several times. The food and service was good. One evening he decided to eat his evening meal there. He went in, sat down and a topless waitress waltzed to his table to take his order. It seems the seminary must not have wanted their students, especially the younger ones, introduced to the topless world just yet.

Now there are no shocks just good food and happy tummies.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Looking toward the inner room of the restaurant.Looking toward the inner room of the restaurant.
Looking toward the inner room of the restaurant.

The inner room used to be the only room.
Our mealOur meal
Our meal

So we could have a large dessert later, we shared this chicken breast with roasted veggies. Good eating.
EspressoEspresso
Espresso

Why don't American coffee houses serve decent sized cups of espresso? (see Nancy's hand with fingers spread to judge size of cup)
Dessert at JeneralkaDessert at Jeneralka
Dessert at Jeneralka

Denys and Dilfuza with ice cream- For a sample look at a previous 'Pig Out'.
More Jeneralka DessertMore Jeneralka Dessert
More Jeneralka Dessert

Oksana & Nancy dig in to the crepes- Sweets like this don't last long!
Ramsey and Betty Ramsey and Betty
Ramsey and Betty

His 1100 page commentary on the Gospel of John has just come off the press.


3rd November 2010

a smiling face
I feel delighted to see Nancy's smiling face again. It seems that you are just near to me. Miss you very much. Where is Bill? :)
4th November 2010

Bill & Nancy
You both always look like you are enjoying life! Smiling is so easy to do and sometimes it makes someones day! Enjoy your Blog Your Friend in Michigan Judy
5th November 2010

Friends in Prague
Hi, Been enjoying your blogs. Just wondered if you have met Russell and Melinda Kyzar. They are IMB folks there in Prague. His brother is a member of our church and was sharing about some of the people they had met while there for a visit last summer. Hope you can get to know them. When will you be coming back? Looks like you are having a good time. Take care, Virginia

Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0679s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb