Zaton and Nin


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia
August 25th 2016
Published: August 25th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Not a great photo of a really great beachNot a great photo of a really great beachNot a great photo of a really great beach

I'm not sure how I managed to not get a photo with the kite boards in them. I think for this one, I wanted mountains
We're on our last night in Zaton, which is straight across the Adriatic from the town in Italy which was destroyed by the earthquake recently. We're catching the sad news online as the casualty numbers climb.



This is a decidedly more rural area than we've stayed in other places on this trip. Zaton is a small community north of Zadar, with a mix of local residents and vacation properties, like the one we are renting. The past two days have given us a nice rest from the pace of travel we started on. The kids have especially loved the pool.



It would be understandable for the neighbors to harbour resentment with a new batch of tourists moving in next door every few days, but so far we haven't seen any evidence of that. One neighbour invited us to help ourselves to the grapes hanging from his arbor. The grapes are delicious, and far sweeter than those we bought at the store earlier. The property also has olive, fig, and orange trees, although the fruit is not yet ripe for eating.



Today was dedicated to the pool and the beach. In the morning, we visited a local beach that is about a 500 meter walk from the house. Then in the afternoon, we went the beach at next town north (Nin). Found out why it's one of the best beaches in Croatia -Beautiful sand stretching out for hundreds of meters, small fish around the shallow reefs, and about 60 kiteboarders showing off. Nice way to spend a hot afternoon.




Just now, we found a shy little hedgehog along the fence. When we tried to get a picture, he turned his face into the corner and stayed very still. Once we ignored him, he went about his business in the bushes.



Some photos tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Officially the cutest castle in the worldOfficially the cutest castle in the world
Officially the cutest castle in the world

Like a set for a Monty Python movie, this castle (more likely a church) is beside the road from Zaton to Nin


Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0403s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb