Travel day


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia
August 27th 2016
Published: August 27th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Nin old townNin old townNin old town

The old town is on an island, accessed by a pedestrian bridge.
Yesterday, the Cherevatys went to Split before going to Dubrovnik, and we visited Nin again in the morning to see the salt works and shop for a new swimsuit for Abbey (success)



This site has been a salt works since Roman times, when salt was worth about the same as gold. I'm speculating that this was/is a good location because it has a large low area adjacent to a big lagoon off the Adriatic, with a high salt content in its water. The warmer and saltier the water coming in, the sooner you can get to raw salt. The process for centuries was to flood a shallow pool and let the sun evaporate mush ot the water. Workers would skim flakes of salt off the water surface. (As explained to me on the label of a bag of Nin salt in the tourist shop).



After a great lunch in a shaded restaurant in Nin, we hit the road for Dubrovnik. As usual, the big highway was fast and smooth, but for the last hour, we were on a skinny 2 lane road hugging the coast. The views were stunning for those who could afford to
Another  not great photoAnother  not great photoAnother not great photo

Later in the day, this would be better lit by the sun. But it's an interesting posture for a statue to a 17th century priest. Must have been a forceful preacher.
look around (not the driver). We didn't have any close calls, but did see some people passing with almost no room to do so.



We stoped several times to break up the day, and were glad to get into Dubrovnik before dark. I'll be posting some photos shortly, but you will no doubt fnd better Dubrovnik photos online.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



VilmaVilma
Vilma

Had a great conversation with Vilma at her roadside fruit and vegetable stand. She grown about half of the produce, and makes olive oil too. Vilma works the stand for the summer, and at a boutique in winter. Her husband is a postie. It sounds like its tough to scrape by, raising two kids.

The KataraThe Katara
The Katara

By Matt's research, this is the 17th largest private yacht in the world, and is believed to be owned by Sheik Hamad, the Emir of Qatar. They invited us over for breakfast, but we declined. We've got a busy day ahead.


Tot: 0.245s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0616s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb