Zadar


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia
August 25th 2016
Published: August 25th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Old Town ZadarOld Town ZadarOld Town Zadar

Matt blew a flop flop here, and had to walk the streets looking for an emergency replacement along these streets.
Forty-two views on a recent post. This blog's goin' VIRAL!



We spent the morning and hottest part of Wednesday hanging around the pool and having lunch under the awning so we didn't get into town until arond 5pm, which was good. Hot hot day.



I expected the old town in Zadar to be pretty much the same as Veli Varos in Split. However because of successive demolotion events in its history (Notably in the 2nd world war when 60% of the buildings were destroyed), the old town is now mix of old and new buildings (One stretch of the main street is like a modern mall). Still, it was well worth visiting and walking around.



One attraction is the sea organ, a pipe organ built into the sidwalk and powered by the sea waves rolling in from the Adriatic. It was pretty neat to sit on the steps and listen to the random notes playing to the rythm of the sea. An adjacent attraction is the sun salutation built into the sidewalk. It is supposed to absorb sunlight during the day, and light up the floor at night, in sync with the
Church of St Donatius, and famous tower of somethingChurch of St Donatius, and famous tower of somethingChurch of St Donatius, and famous tower of something

I have no idea who the Byzantines were, but the church on the left was built in their style. In the 9th century. This building is Zadar's most recognized symbol. It' basically one dome about 4 storeys high with a circular staircase aroung the outside. And it was built with at least two recycled columns from the old Roman forum.
sea organ. But it looked like it took Wednesday off. We milled around for a while, but not much happened.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

The view from the top of the tower of unknown name.The view from the top of the tower of unknown name.
The view from the top of the tower of unknown name.

It's a good climb up the bell tower for St. Anastasia's Cathedral, but worth the view from the top.
View from the birthday supper restaurantView from the birthday supper restaurant
View from the birthday supper restaurant

Unfortunately, the birthday girl ended up with the only dish in the place that was Kind of 'meh'.


Tot: 0.248s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.062s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb