Dubrovnik - days 3 and 4


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia
October 2nd 2008
Published: October 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

DAY 3: SPLIT TO DUBROVNIK

Woke up again relatively early to discover lousy weather so changed my plans slightly. I was going to have a beach day on an island but with cloudy overcast looking weather that clearly wasnt going to work. So I headed to Dubrovnik instead. On the way I got to go through my first border crossing, into Bosnia. Quite interesting, they basically did a passport check by getting on the bus but that was it. No stamp no visa, nothing. The they did the same when we left. Had about a half hour stop in Bosnia too but it was a road side stop so not that interesting.

Arrived into Dubrovnik at around 2pm I Guess. I didnt have a hostel booking so just tagged along with Neil and they had extra room. The hostel was right in the centre of the old town which was great, but there was a couple of stairs to get there. That would be an understatement. Over 100 stairs, every time we needed to go back. After getting changed (weather was great by then) we headed for a tour of the old city. First stop was to walk along the city walls and basically see a great view over the old town, the ocean, the islands, and the destruction caused at various times by various conflicts. Some very interesting history. Plus saw the synagogue, cathedral, old chemist, monastry, etc. The plan was to then join some people from the hostel on a hike up the mountain but when we got back discovered that it had been cancelled because the weather was turning. So we made do with a walk outside of the walls, watched the sunset and grabbed some dinner. Then we headed to Fresh which was related to the hostel for cheap beers. Lots of travellers there and met some interesting hungarian men who just kept hitting on some poor local girls. After having a few beers stopped by a wine bar and then by a place that sells pizza by the slice.

DAY 4: DUBROVNIK and LOKRUM ISLAND

Up early to go to a local market which was actually disappointing but bought some grapes anyway. Turns out nothing in the old town opens at 8am so back to the hostel to chill for a while before heading to the War Photography Museum which was quite good, if not a little confronting. Lots of pics of child soldiers and injured people and everything. Then Neil and I hopped a ferry over to Lokrum Island. It is one of the closest islands to Dubrovnik and is only about 10 minutes away. Weather was the choppiest (sp) it had been for a whole but boats dont really bother me much. Sun was shining mostly which was also good. Once on the island we wandered around and saw the monastry and the lake and the botanical gardens. Unfortunately we couldnt access the fort at the top which is a shame because would have been able to get some great views of the island and the area from there. Then we attempted to go swimming off the beach. I use the word beach loosely because like some many meditteranean beaches it was pure rocks. Not little ones though, big ones. After attempting at a few different places we gave up, got changed and headed back to the mainland. Ran into Gerry getting back onto the ferry who we had been out with the night before so he came along to the beach too. And - we actually all made it into the water. Yes it was a little cold but it was so worth it. After a while it got cold so Gerry headed back to his hotel to get changed and Neil and I did the same. Met up with Gerry at this cafe that serves beer (and coffee) on the steps of one of the back alleys in the old town which was kind of cool before heading to a Bosnian place for dinner. Service was again terrible slow but the food was good, I got a decent serve of veges in as I had their vegie dish. Then it was a few more drinks at fresh before some night shots of the old town and back to the hostel.

Hostel was quite odd actually. I was sharing with one or two other girls, at least I think I was, because I never actually saw them, except when they served me at fresh because apparently they work there. Hmmm. Must sleep a lot during the day.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0413s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb