Dubrovnik - Montenegro - Split - Zadar


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia
October 4th 2008
Published: October 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

DAY 5 - DUBROVNIK

Woke up ridiculously early again this morning because the church bells were really loud. Basically veged around for a few hours before packing and moving to an alternative hostel in Lapad, outside the old city. Quite a few people staying at the hostel, which was more of a guesthouse, although seem to be excessive amounts of Americans.

Didnt do much really given how much I had sqeezed into the previous days. Went for a very very long walk (6km return which I shouldnt have done in thongs (flip flops) on hindsight) all the way up to President Dubrovnik Hotel at the far end. Veged on the beach for a while but it was slightly too chilly to go swimming. For dinner wandered down to the beach again and then had some drinks at the hostel before getting an early night.

DAY 6 - DUBROVNIK TO MONTENEGRO TO SPLIT TO ZADAR

I had booked a day trip to Montenegro with a company called Gullivers Travel before I left Australia. When I woke up a bit before 7am it was raining and had rained most of the night. Got picked up from hotel round the corned just after 7am. Out first stop was at about 10am at Our Lady of Rocks (an island). We all piled out of the coach and got drenched within a few minutes. Half the people on the tour decided not to brave the island while the rest of us went across for about 45 minutes or so. The cathedral there was really quite cute - island was tiny - you could probably run around it in 30 seconds. After having a local tour we got back onto the bus (the rain held off most of the time we were actually on the island) and headed to Kotor. Another old city where a local guide gave us a quick tour before leaving us some time to explore the city independently for about an hour. After that it was on to Budva for lunch and another hour or so to explore. By the time we got there I have to admit that I was getting sick of seeing old cities. All towns have them but they do start to look somewhat similar after a while.

Weird thing I found with Montenegro is despite is not being in the EU, it uses Euros. It has only been an independent country since 2006 and has a population of around 600 000 or so. They speak Montenegran, yet Croatia, Bosnian and Serbian are all essentially the same language, like English, American and Australian I guess.

I got dropped at the bus station at around 645 or so and managed to get the 7pm bus to Split. Bus was empty and I managed to get a few hours nap before arriving in Split around midnight. The plan was to go to a hotel and then get the first bus to Zadar in the morning, but there was a bus leaving at 1am so I decided to do that instead. Rained through the night and arrived in Zadar at around 4am in the morning.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.335s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1045s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb