Day 1 and 2 in Split, Croatia


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia
October 2nd 2008
Published: October 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

This is just going to be a very quick summary of my first couple of days in Croatia since I am still on the road.

Day 1: SUNDAY 28.

The flight was at 6am from Gatwick so in true fashion I let someone talk me into cancelling my hostel and instead go out for a few drinks. Got a taxi to the airport which was actually quite cheap although I arrived quite early. Slept pretty much the whole way on the plane though which was a distinct advantage! Woke up briefly as we were flying over the alps and took some piccies.

Arrived in Split at about 9:30am and wandered outside to find the local bus which proved slightly difficult because it wasnt really signposted. Ran into an English guy (Neil) who was also looking and we managed to find it on the road right outside the airport. Took about 40 minutes or so to get into town where we got somewhat lost finding the hostel (by chance he had booked the same one as me). After a shower we headed out to tour the town. Did all the usual stuff to do in Split, walk along the promande, wandered basically around Diocletianćs Palace, saw the golden gate, the cathedral basement halls, etc. I love Split - incredibly laid back and not that touristy either. Also climbed to the top of the cathedral thing which wasan amazing view but a slightly terrifying stair climb. Then headed out of town walking along the beaches. Few little bars along the way until it was obvious that we werent in a tourist place anymore!! Wandered back and got some pics of the sun setting before dinner and a few drinks with another person from the hostel (Rob from Brisbane).

Day 2: MONDAY 29

Despite a late night, was up early and headed to Trogir. That involved finding the local bus stop which was quite difficult really. Took about an hour to find it. The bus we got on to Trogir was a local bus and looked like it was built in the 1960s. Hard wooden seats and at one stage when the bus was driving along there was this magical cloud of dust appear in the bus itself. Even surprised the locals. Bit of a long trip but arrived well before lunch and wandered around looking at the old town. The place was even more laid back than Split with a lot iof locals just sitting and watching the world pass by!! Went through the fortress and palace and up the clock tower. If we thought the one in Split was bad the one in Trogir was worse!!

Got back into Split about 3pm or so and headed back to hostel before heading down to one of the beaches for a drink with Rob along as well. After the sun set we headed to this little traditional restauarant and had the cheapest dinner ever - and it was good food. Terrible service but that did add to the charm. Then it was a few more drinks and some photos of the city at night.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.383s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0748s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb